can you felt anything other than sc?

chickpea67

Thanks! What I'm thinking of is making the bag almost entirely in one color, and then doing 3 or so rows with the spike stitch. I guess you're right though with the thickness--spikes do make the fabric thicker and stiffer. I don't think Mom will care too much either way though :) I'll keep my eyes open. Just trying to come up with something a little different than the one I made for myself.

I've been playing around with different stitch patterns in felting too, doing swatches of various things to see how they'd turn out. My favorite so far was done just using front post double crochet, which I used in the purse seen here:

th_FallBagPre-BlockingWithoutStraps2.jpgth_FeltedFallBag.jpg

It made an interesting zigzag effect and didn't add noticeable bulk to that part of the bag, but I only used it as a design accent; if you use it extensively it does make the fabric bulkier. Then again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing! Spike stitch also turned out very well and I plan on using that in another bag.

One of my faves for nice, densely felted fabric is to alternate between single and double crochet stitches. Just be sure to start each row with a sincle crochet and end with a double to keep your rows even. Loose stitches are the best as has been stated. I have found that this combination of stitches virtually disappears!

Lani, your bag is really cute. I have one in my WIP basket that I finished months ago but just can't decide - to felt or not to felt. It, too, has a pattern of fpdc very similar to yours. I even bought some stiff lining stuff should I choose not to felt it. But I really like the way yours came out.

Hmmmmm, I may just have to go for it!

Archived