Reading a Pattern

mjett37

Question

Hi to all I purchased a pattern from Annies Attic and been having trouble understanding the directions could someone help please:

It says chain a chain about 14 inches long, then dc in sixth ch from hook, (ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next ch) until piece measures about 11 inches long.

So does this mean that I keep in this pattern.:think

8 answers to this question

I would say that yes, you would repeat the pattern of (ch 1, sk st, dc in next st) across the chain, but I also think that would mean you want an uneven number of chain stitches. That would allow you to finish with a dc, without having extra chains. Strange that the pattern doesn't have a more exact stitch count, but I suppose that depends on what the pattern is for.

On the next row, you will chain 4 (your turning chain), skip the ch 1 sp and dc in the next dc, then (ch1, sk space, dc in next dc) across. Repeat this row until your piece is 11" long.

ok that I understand what I am making is called the Mariyln Sweater its a shrug type and it doesn't tell you how many chains to make, but the uneven chains do sound right to me.:think

Is that the only pattern instruction?

If not, can you tell us the whole thing please?

Is it a simple lattice pattern where the DC are done on top of each other, or is the DC done into the CH1 space?

Maybe some more info on the actual shape of the item being made would also help.

Maybe you are to do 11 inches along the CH on the first row:think

Tell us more so we can help.

Colleen.:hug

One of the greatest tricks I ever learned was to not stress about the length of the chain. If you have a large number of chains, i.e., for an afghan, chain as close to the number suggested as you want, then add about ten more just for good measure.

Turn and do the second row. The measurement of the second row is more accurate as to the real width of the afghan (or whatever). If it's wider than you want, frog the stitches to the right width, turn and do the third row. Don't worry about that little tail of chains. After you do a few rows and are happy with the width, go back and pick out those extra chains.

This also eliminates the worry of "multiples of X" for the initial chain as well as coming up one short for a pattern repeat. :hook

Ok ladies I thank you all for your help, but I am determined to get this pattern but my question is the pattern says to crochet in the dc, skip 1 dc, ch 1 until the piece measures 10 inches long, it says not wide but long, it also says to meaure rows, not across one row. So do I measure from the top to the bottom :think

If you have a large number of chains, i.e., for an afghan, chain as close to the number suggested as you want, then add about ten more just for good measure <snip> Turn and do the second row. <snip>After you do a few rows and are happy with the width, go back and pick out those extra chains. <snip>This also eliminates the worry of "multiples of X" for the initial chain as well as coming up one short for a pattern repeat. :hook

This is great advice. Note that it only works, however, if your first row of your pattern is the pattern stitch. If you have to work a row of single or double and then your pattern starts, you have to know the exact count as you can't undo the first row if you have too many or come up short. You'd have to rip back.

the pattern says to crochet in the dc, skip 1 dc, ch 1 until the piece measures 10 inches long, it says not wide but long, it also says to meaure rows, not across one row. So do I measure from the top to the bottom :think

Yes. From top to bottom it must be the size noted.

Archived