Hotpads/trivets with CD inside

nightowl

Question

Hello everyone

I've seen some really nice patterns online for hotpads/trivets with a CD inside. I'd like to try them (and use some of those old CDs!) but I'm wondering: how practical are they, really? Because presumably you can't wash them. . . wouldn't they quickly get spoiled? Are they really just for decoration?

(Actually I've wondered that about some of the potholder patterns I've seen, too; some are so elaborate I wonder if people do use them day to day, or just whip them out for show when company comes, LOL. What do you do?)

10 answers to this question

If it's a potholder, it gets used at our house. Doesn't matter how elaborate it is. I also use CDs for coasters. But there are only two types I have made. One is just a crocheted circle that I attach to the CD with hot glue, and when these are no longer nice, I just toss them (takes about 10 minutes to make another). The other is one is a bit more fancy, that the CD just slips into. It's a squeeze to get them on, but they can be removed and washed, then slipped back on. I don't remember which site I got that pattern from. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

I can't believe I found the pattern for the CD coaster that I was telling you about so quickly. Here it is: http://www.worsleypress.com/garagesale/CDcoaster.htm

I also found this one that allows you to slip the CD out when you want to wash it: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/cillcrochets/CDcoast.html . I'm sure you could adapt a lot of the other CD coaster patterns to use this way of closure.

I can't believe I found the pattern for the CD coaster that I was telling you about so quickly. Here it is: http://www.worsleypress.com/garagesale/CDcoaster.htm

I also found this one that allows you to slip the CD out when you want to wash it: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/cillcrochets/CDcoast.html . I'm sure you could adapt a lot of the other CD coaster patterns to use this way of closure.

Thanks for those links, I've never made that type before :manyheart

Because presumably you can't wash them. . . wouldn't they quickly get spoiled? Are they really just for decoration?

I wash them. Just get them wet, put some soap on my hands the rub into the yarn well. Rinse and lay on a towel to dry.

Thanks so much for the links, mudpie. It's really interesting to see the different methods people have come up with. Ingenious!

I wash them. Just get them wet, put some soap on my hands the rub into the yarn well. Rinse and lay on a towel to dry.

Wow, Chain3turn. . . I just assumed you couldn't wash them because the CD would go rusty! But you haven't had any trouble? Would you advise using the minimum amount of water, though? I notice you say "get them wet" and that you rub soap in with your hands, rather than dunking them in a bowl full of soapsuds.

It won't rust - it's not made of metal. It won't melt - it's made of plastic. You can just swish them in a dishpan with water and detergent and then swish them in a dishpan of water to rinse.

Wow, Chain3turn. . . I just assumed you couldn't wash them because the CD would go rusty!

CDs are made of plastic pretty much....;)

But you haven't had any trouble? Would you advise using the minimum amount of water, though? I notice you say "get them wet" and that you rub soap in with your hands, rather than dunking them in a bowl full of soapsuds.

Either way would work okay. They aren't going to rust..... I wash my CDs and DVDs with dish soap all the time after the grandkids get hold of them with sticky fingers.....

Archived