What to do?!?!

woogster

Question

Well I taught myself how to crochet earlier in the year...and I've made two ripples and a small sc lapghan...but I want to make something that looks, I don't know how to say it but something that has more to it. In a way more complicated I guess, but not too complicated because I'd have to be able to figure it out myself. I want to make something that I can be more proud of! Does anyone have any ideas or patterns? I'd really appreciate it if anyone could recommend something! thank you!

17 answers to this question

I just started back in November and I could not imagine making anything other than a scarf.

But, by joining this forum and perusing Crochet Patterns Central, I have made since Xmas: a triangle shawl, the "posh poncho" and "lacy shell" ponchos, a 2 rectangle poncho, and the ruffle scarf. I am almost done with a pullover sweater and a summer top from "Cool Crochet".

You can do it! And the folks here are amazing! Soooooo helpful to me when I had questions.

It means to chain 5 and double crochet in the stitch you were just working in before the chain 5. In other words, you chain 5 and double crochet back into the top of the chain 3.

ooooooohhhhhhh!!!! That makes sense now! thank you!

Well this is what I tried to make:

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Crochet/Sweet_Dreams_Afghan.pdf

And I got confused when it said for round 2 chain 5 and double crochet in same stitch. what would the same stitch be???

It means to chain 5 and double crochet in the stitch you were just working in before the chain 5. In other words, you chain 5 and double crochet back into the top of the chain 3.

Woogster, don't give up on squares--I'm making only my second granny square blanket as we write. I started with a simple 12-inch square (Bobby's square, which you can link to through CPC), and am now trying one with 2 different 6-inch square patterns: the Kingfield Square and the Vintage Lace Square--I needed to stare at the photo for that second one a long time to figure it out, but once I did, it was a breeze. My mom is an expert crocheter who can't read patterns, but I talked her through the ruffled scarf pattern last month and she made 2 for Christmas. Do what I do when you find a pattern--parse it out; rewrite in long hand so you don't mix yourself up. I'm in the midst of my first sweater, which doesn't look so great, so I may frog it and start over, but I'm not giving up. :hook Patty

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! I think I will try a cardigan pattern, and I wanted to make another afghan. I attempted to make a square for an afghan pattern last night and it was a disaster!!! I got so confused with the rounds which really bummed me out because I really liked the design!

My advice is find a pattern you like from a magazine or book or the internet even if you think its beyond you and have a go! You will never know what you can do till you try and even if you fail you will learn from it.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to say I'm terrified of making any type of clothing...It will most likely come out lop sided and or fall apart!

This is EXACTLY how I used to feel! Even the thought was overwhelming. Even hats scared me. My solution was to buy my usual yarn so that I didn't care if it had to be frogged (I could always put it into an afghan, if the sweater, hat, mittens, whatever scary project, didn't work out), and then just try it.

Scared or not, try it, take it slow and enjoy it is my suggestion. I'm making all sorts of things now I would never have thought possible!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to say I'm terrified of making any type of clothing...It will most likely come out lop sided and or fall apart! And granny squares scare me because i don't know how to connect them and they too might fall apart if I attempt it!!!

You really should try a simple cardigan pattern. You start with the back, which is a symmetrical piece. The two front pieces will not only match each other exactly, but the arm shaping will match the back. Then the sleeves will fit into the arm shaping of front and back. Its really not as complicated as you think. And if you start with a medium to large size, making it for no one in particular, you don't have to worry about it 'fitting'. Take a breath and go for it!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to say I'm terrified of making any type of clothing...It will most likely come out lop sided and or fall apart! And granny squares scare me because i don't know how to connect them and they too might fall apart if I attempt it!!!

Sifting through the patterns at Crochet Pattern Central is the best idea, but sometimes a little time consuming. This is one of the patterns available through there. Its a simple cardigan, using alternating lines of sc and dc, which makes a nice pattern. The inc and dec rows are very simple, as is the general pattern.

Use a really nice worsted weight (especially some of beautiful cotton, ribbon yarns available) and you'll get plenty of compliments.

Good luck!

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/june99_crochet.html

I'm working on Mrs. Who's shrug sweater and I'm loving how easy it is - here's the thread. It took me a few days to get my head around it, but it's quite easy once you get going. Also, you can use whatever stitch(es) you want.

Debby

I think if you asked any of us here who have finished the 63 Squares afghan whether we're proud to have finished the darned thing, you'd get a resounding yes. It's easy for the most part, yet it looks complicated and some of the squares are quite challenging. :hook

www.crochetpatterncentral.com is run by a fellow Crochetviller and has TONS of patterns for almost anything you can imagine (and even a few you couldn't! LOL!) They vary in difficulty, but I'm sure if you look around you'll find lots within your skill-range.

Katie:cat

P.S. Welcome to the Board!

Archived