Knitted or Crocheted Bandages for Tropical Ulcer Patients

ziggidy1

I looked through the forum and I didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I would post. I stumbled on this website just by chance one day.

http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html

They are in need of crocheted or knitted bandages to cover and protect open wounds of people with such diseases as leprosy and AIDS. Their request is sooooo simple. I can't imagine it would take much more than an hour to two to make one of these bandages. I have asked people at my church to help me make 50 (or more) by Easter.

I thought some of you might be interested in doing some too. The link will explain more, and give the address for mailing to them.

Shalom,

JC

Hi Sissie,

I think the safety pins are for securing the end of the bandage after it has been wrapped around the wound.

I remember years back, my mother used to use safety pins to for our ace bandages. I'm not sure if we even had the little clippy things that are used nowadays.

This is very interesting i never thought people crocheted bandages. I will definately make some i have some white cotton i am happy to part with and its a bonus if it can help someone. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Count me in!! when is the dead line that you will need these by?

why the safty pin?

Thanks for sharing this!!

sissie44,

Please do as many as you like, then send them to the address at the link. The deadline I gave for my group was Easter, but there really isn't a true deadline. Global Health Ministries always needs more bandages.

Thank you all for your support with this. It seemed like a simple enough request. I hoped that some of you might think it could fit into you project list too!

My mother has crocheted and sent off two dozen of these bandages, hers are 4"x4' and made from the thicker peaches and cream cotton yarn (she uses a H hook). She sends them to Global Health Ministries,7831 Hickory Street NE, Minneapolis,MN 55432. They can use both sizes of bandages, each have different uses, they are reusable--several times washed and sterilized they last a long time, immperitive for these people that have very few resorces.

Kellie

• 3 weeks later...

Archived