Pattern question....help!

jchllm

Question

I wasa given an old pattern by my husband's aunt over the weekend and I watched her stitch of it and it was easy. I just have a couple of silly questions that most 'normal' stitches would know but remember......I'm a newbie.

1. Skip 2 sts & in next st do 3 db......does that mean to do it in the 2nd or the 3rd stitch?

2. Turn, chain 3, do 2 db in 1st st......does that mean to do the db in the 1st new stitch that I just made in the chain or on the existing work?

This is for 'shell afghan'. A very simple pattern but just a couple little queries.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Lisa :hook

9 answers to this question

my suggestion would to do the pattern exactly as it is written. You will know if it is correct after the first two rows. You didn't say how many chains it called for but that is what I would do. I know you would hate to frog, but better to frog and fix the first two rows now huh? :hook

If the pattern says that the turning CH counts as first double crochet, then you would start with the next one, if it doesn't say that, then you would double crochet in the very first stitch...

I agree with last post. Do the pattern as written for the first couple of rows. If it doesn't come out right then you know you have missed something, but it may be just fine...

Good luck!

P.S. We were all newbies at one time or another! Don't feel bad asking, I still have to ask some things that I'm not familiar with! :hook

I would go with what everyone else says of try it and see after a few rows.

But, it sounds like you're not exactly sure what the pattern is saying so here's my take on it (and I could be wrong so do what you think is right.

1. Skip 2 sts & in next st do 3 db......does that mean to do it in the 2nd or the 3rd stitch?

THat means you do it in the 3rd stitch from where you last did one. (You should have two stitiches inbetween the the new and the last stitch taht weren't done.

2. Turn, chain 3, do 2 db in 1st st......does that mean to do the db in the 1st new stitch that I just made in the chain or on the existing work?

This is one that you should check the pattern on. Some patterns count the turning chain, and some don't. Though, given that the chain is at the beginig of hte row, I would guess that it doens't count, and you do it into the first stich on the existing work.

Well, that is how I would read the directions. But, if you read them differnt, try it your way first. It should be clear in a few rows if it's done right or not. IF the afgan is large is size, you can always try a large gague swatch using the pattern to see if it looks right without having to do the long rows on the afgan.

Agree with Dejhie, skip 2 stitches and put 3 db in the third stitch from your last group of stitches. There will be 2 stitches between each group of stitches.

Very few patterns would have you crochet into the turning chain (the ones that do, will specifically say stitch into the 1st, 2nd, 3rd chain from the hook), most patterns written this way mean for you to crochet into the row you just completed. You will want to read the pattern and see if they want you to crochet into the stitch at the base of the chain or into the next stitch. If the pattern does not specify, try going into the next stitch and see if your stitches work out across the row. If you are short a stitch, than you will know that you should be going into the stitch at the base of the chain. If it works out, than you are doing it right.

Since you are doing a shell stitch, I think you should stitch into the base of the chain 3, however to maintain a straight edge you may need to go into the next stitch over.

If you need any other help, please feel free to IM, PM or email me directly.

Here is the pattern. I've done the first row without a problem. It's just starting the second row that I'm having a problem with. Maybe by your seeing the whole pattern it will help. I do already appreciate the help y'all have given.

Shell Afghan

Chain 180.

ROW 1

Turn, do 2 db in third st, ½ shell.

Skip 2 sts & sc in next st.

Skip 2 sts & in next st do 3 db, chain 1, & do 3 more db in same st (shell)

Repeat above across, ending with sc.

ROW 2

Turn, chain 3, do 2 db in 1st st.

Sc in back loop of chain in center of shell.

Make shell in back of loop of next sc. Repeat across.

DO NOT REPEAT ROW 1 at any time. REPEAT ROW 2 every time

Lisa :hook:hug

Are they DCs or something else?)

On Row 2, you are making half a shell so you do the 2 DB into the same place the chain sits.

This makes it the same as the first row where you did 2DBs into the 3rd CH from the hook. (makes 3 DBs)

(CH 3 at the start of the row, will always stand as 1DB in this pattern.)

The full shell is 3DB, CH1, 3DB all into the same place. The SC holds it down and on the next row, the shell sits on the SC.

This is a very nice, easy pattern and once you get going, it will all make sense.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Well, I went back to my husband's aunts house and she showed me what I needed to do. I was doing it right after all, just didn't have enough faith in myself I guess :P .

Thanks for all of your help. This will look really pretty when it's done.

I wish I would have had the money to go and get a bunch of yarn at Big Lots last week. I need more colors....!!!! Been watching eBay to see what kind of deals I can find. Wish me luck.

Lisa:hook

Archived