Help! My blanket didn't come out square

hopetodance

Question

Hi! I just joined today. I made a blanket for a Christmas gift. I tore part of it out and remade it several times. In the end, 3/4 of it looked good and the last 1/4 was narrower.

What did I do wrong?

The pattern I was given is the following:

Chain until it's as wide as you want. Then double crochet the rest. Add 3 chain stitches at the end of each row to keep it from narrowing. Buy 56 ounces of yarn.

I didn't really know what to do with the 3 chain stitches at the end of the rows.

HELP!

11 answers to this question

Did you count each row to make sure you had the same amount of stitches in each row??? When I first started crocheting, this was the biggest problem I had and even though I hate counting as much as making a gauge swatch, I have learned that you can't get around counting...

Your ch 3 at the end of each row was to count as the 1st dc of the next row. It is ch 3, turn sk 1st dc of row and dc in each st across. At the end of each row you would do a dc into the turning ch 3, of the last row. This is were we are most likely to lose a st. Counting ever couple of rows is definitely a good idea.

thank you both for the suggestions. :cheer 1. Is there an easy way to count the stitches? I thought about using a miniature hair clip to help me track. There has to be an easier way.

2. Where can I find the abbreviations list? I know I saw it somewhere. I'm not sure what sk means.

thank you both for the suggestions. :cheer 1. Is there an easy way to count the stitches? I thought about using a miniature hair clip to help me track. There has to be an easier way.

2. Where can I find the abbreviations list? I know I saw it somewhere. I'm not sure what sk means.

SK means skip stitch

If you are working with lots of stitches. put a wee safety pin on every 10th stitch every 10 rows so and you should see that they sit in a straight line above each other.

Possible what you have done is the most common mistake, you have not worked into the top of the turning chain so every row, you will have lost 1 stitch.

When you are learning, it is a good idea to learn on less stitches, making a dish cloth or even just a sample square so you can see clearly what you need to do before you approach the large project.

With DCs you always do CH3 to stand as your first DC (otherwise it pulls down at the sides) then at the end of the row, you always work into the top of the CH from the row below.

Do your turning CH at the end of the row, then turn your work in an anti-clock-wise direction and you will always have the front of the CH facing when you get back to it on the next row. Easier to work into and also makes a neater edge.

Experiment on about 15CH and work 1DC into the 3rd CH from the hook, then into each CH to the end, CH3, turn. You should have 14DC (count the CH as 1DC)

Now work into each DC across being sure not to work into the ST the CH stands on and being sure to work into the top of the CH at the end of the row. Count your STs again.

Work several rows like this and you will see that your work is nice and straight.

Now you are ready for the Big One.

Another thing to look at is, when you are working in rows, the top of each ST looks like it is to the left, but, when you are working in rounds, the top of the ST is to the right.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on fixing my blanket. I ended up sick again and haven't been able to check back in. My blanket I'm working on right now is the shape it's supposed to be. Wahoo! :yay

I even went out and bought yarn to make another one after this.

:eek Sorry to hear that you have been sick. Nothing too bad I hope.

:hook Sounds like you have the hang of crocheting straight so you are a quick pupil.

:cheer Keep up the good work and you will soon be the one answering the questions.

All the best for 2006.

Colleen:hug

Archived