using an S-twist for crochet?

nataleeza

I just read on another forum that when you spin for crochet, you should spin with an S-twist, and ply Z-wise, i.e. the opposite to the way most books encourage you to do it. They mentioned that this ensures that the twist is correct for the resulting fabric.

I don't know enough about this to have my own opinion, but I've never heard that before, and I'm not sure I believe it. I read it on a knitting forum, and while they don't tend to be unkind about crocheters, I definately feel we are a bit misunderstood.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

bull!

that's just crazy. yarn is yarn is yarn whether you knit or crochet with it.

i S twist and Z ply because that is what is easiest with my particular wheel because i do not have a lazy kate.....

but once i do - plying either way will be equally easy and the yarn equally usable

that's just crazy talk :P

• 4 weeks later...

I had a real problem with some merino/tencel that I had spun and when I crochet a vest it seemed to unply when I was crocheting it. I was so upset. But I did enter it into a fair and the judge who is a master spinner said sometimes with this blend it will do that and she recomened if I did anymore of it to try spinning the oposite way. Well I still have another bag of it and think I will try it.

I took a spindle-spinning class a couple weeks back, and the teacher *did* mention that spinning one way is better for crochet yarn than spinning the opposite.

However, I can't remember *which* way he said to spin for crochet... I've been spinning Z and plying S, if I'm not mistaken... [which I could be, since I don't have my spindle in front of me to double check that.]

It's something to consider when swatching, I guess. I just thought it was knitters marginalising us hookers :(

But I've spoken to my grandfather's wife, and she always spins Z plys S unless the swatch "looks like it needs to be the other way". She's been spinning for years, and finds it all so easy, that it's difficult for her to put concepts into words.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived