pdf files?

naidascrochet

Question

Hi, I'm hoping to try and sell some of my original patterns online.

I'm curious about saving my patterns to PDF files.

I see many of the sites that sell their patterns sell them by PDF file.

How do I get my patterns saved this way?

any input would be appreciated, thanks :think

naida

13 answers to this question

Several people on the forum have recommended PrimoPDF http://www.primopdf.com/. I haven't used it myself, but I understand it is free to use and usually PDFs are smaller than the original word file. Then you can upload the pdf file to your website and create a link to it for people to download.

You could also purchase Adobe Acrobat to make your PDF files or if you are using some programs, they allow you to Export As or Save As a PDF file. I don't know if security is an issue with you but I'm a graphic artist and I password protect all my art files so they can only be opened and printed.

Good luck selling your patterns.

Hope this was some help.

Pam

I'm running on Linux OS, so Adobe isn't an option for me, but there's a program called Open Office that has a PDF writer included. You can try their website at http://www.openoffice.org for more information. It's free and will run on many different platforms (operating systems).

Or, you can pay someone to write your files to PDF for you if you don't want to install new software. Just a suggestion.

If I create a document in word, I can choose adobe acrobat as a printer, or choose publish to pdf in my File drop down menu. Instead of printing the document it creates a PDF. If you don't already have that option I'm pretty sure you can download a free version.

there's a program called Open Office that has a PDF writer included.
Ooh, really? I just started using Open Office (finally managed to download it over a 56k dialup connection--oh, the pain) but I had no idea I could save things in PDF format. Thanks!

I recommend Acrobat Pro. There are so many options that are wonderful to have. I can make links within the file itself as well as include metadata. For me anyway, that stuff is helpful.

This is what I use. It's pricey, but worth it. It's very powerful and I'm still learning about everything I can do with it.

Although, if you're just going to create a pdf file, period, then the free or cheaper versions mentioned will get the job done.

I've been using PrimoPdf too. It's really easy and free. Once it's installed on your computer you just open the document, click print, select PrimoPdf as your printer and print to screen. Simple. I definitely recommend it.

I love primo too. Been using it for the patterns I get off the 'net (have to transfer via floppy to my laptop). Small files, simple to use.

And since we're on the subject of PDF's, I use FoxIt to read mine. Adobe didn't like my computer :) Foxit also has a creator, but it seems to be more complicated to use.

Archived