dyeing RH???

RebeccaVelasquez

I have no idea :think but my guess would be no. It's plastic, and while it might take a little bit of color, i don't think it would be consistant and I'd have doubts on how long it would stay. Love to see the results if you try it though!

Holly

well, the answer to why - because when i get into a 'designing' mood, i use RH white.... just in case my idea turns out to be something else, ya know?

sooo, i don't limit my design patterns by color - if that makes any sense at all

i've been contemplating and sketching out and finally tried a pattern - i think it turned out better than i had hoped and isn't going to require any tweaking at all. therefore, i have this really great FO - but in solid white ... so instead of starting over, thought i'd try dyeing this one - if it'll work, that is.

if not, i'll just make it again :P

You might look at "artificial flower" dye. It is formulated for man-made materials and I would think if anything would dye acrylic yarn, this would. My dad and I dilute the flower dye (which we have sprayed into another container) with laquer thinner, so that it can be absorbed more easily, to dye "silk" flowers. We have found that the lacquer thinner does weaken some products though, so I would thoroughly test it on some practice swatches first. You could also try diluting the dyes with alcohol too. I am also not sure how washable it would be.

The nice thing about the flower dyes is that it comes in almost any color imaginable, but you can mix them also to other colors.

Most craft stores, if they sell artificial flowers should have flower dye, though you might have to ask, since they are not always kept with the flower making materials :o ? Not sure the reasoning, but that is the way it is. The paint you are looking for is Design Master brand (there are others, this is just one of the more popular). The Just for Flowers brand is not as opaque as the Design Master brand, but would work for a lighter more translucent color.

Archived