Stiffening snowflakes with beads ...

bizzycrocheting

You could try the sugar water method...

I've been using Stiffy, which dries totally clear... I'm not sure it would work with beads, but that's what the booklet I have recommends [fabric stiffener, anyways, not Stiffy in particular], and some of the patterns in it are beaded... :think

I've been stiffening my snowflakes with white elmer's glue mixed about half and half with water. I've only done one that had beads in it, and it didn't come to any harm from the glue. I did do a quick wipe at the with a damp tissue after pinning them out (they were pretty big beads) but even though I'm sure I missed areas I coudn't see any glue residue or anything like that on them...

Most sitffeners dry clear. I use Arleene's stiffner, or Elmers glue and water.

You could wipe the beads off after you pin the snowflakes out if you like. I have a couple that I have beads on and as an extra stiffner (living in the land of humidity) I spray them with laquer.(not sure of spelling). This is done after they have dried. It also gives them a little extra shine.:hook

I boil one cup of water, drinking water, so theres not to many added chemicals, then I add one cup of epsom salts and stir until dissolved. Let it cool but not to cold and put in a spray bottle, spray your pinned out snowflakes. When they are almost dry you will see little white overs from the salts at this stage I take them and turn on the warm water and very quickly run the item under the water just a split second!! this will remove the overs while not removing the mix in the thread. Leave to completely dry. I did an angel with this method she was beaded and she turned out rock hard and the beads were fine:)

i like the stiffy brand the best myself natalie, i have also used it on beads and it did not harm them at all, and like maryjo says you can spray them with lacquer. works great:D :D :D

You could try the sugar water method...

I've been using Stiffy, which dries totally clear... I'm not sure it would work with beads, but that's what the booklet I have recommends [fabric stiffener, anyways, not Stiffy in particular], and some of the patterns in it are beaded... :think

• 3 months later...

Archived