Help, Poncho Experts!

Luvmyrott'nboy

Question

I have 2 patterns for a poncho. One is done by crocheting one big rectangle and folding in half, the other is two crocheted rectangles, joined like an "L".

Which type comes out best? The yarn I have is the most yummy wine color so I want it to be great!

5 answers to this question

I guess it's a matter of preference, but I have one made of a small and a larger rectangle, the L type, and I like that one very much. I think it drapes nicer than just one big rectangle.

Here it is:

shawlfront6dh.jpg

I have done a few of the "sew two rectangles together" ponchos and they worked out great. I recently tried the "folding one rectangle in half" one and it didn't work out at all. I guess that one is supposed to be kinda asymmetrical and funky looking, but it just didn't work for me.

The one made with 2 rectangles is best as it comes out in a traditional Poncho shape with two points. The 1 rectangle poncho only has one point and is harder to wear. (One narrow rectangle though, makes a very nice scarf to tuck into the neck of a jacket with the point at the front.)

When making your 2 Rectangles, make sure that the length of your rectangle is 3 times the width so that your neck hole is big enough.

I discovered this formula when I was making a poncho without a pattern and I started off with the pieces a bit wide so had to make them longer because the neck hole was too small.

It turned out fabulous in the end thank goodness.

If you want to try it out before you start Crocheting, cut some newspaper to the size your rectangles are to be, and cellotape them together as they would be joined. You will be able to see then if the neck hole is OK and if the whole thing is big enough.

Adjust to suit then, off you go with the real thing.

If the neck hole turns out a bit big, just add a row of eyelets and a draw-string.

Good luck.

Colleen:hug

Archived