How do you start?

I know that some people are comfortable with putting a knot at the beginning of their chain to start off of, and some aren't. Well I was taught with the knot, but especially for working things in rounds I don't want to have the know there...when working in rows I haven't found it a big deal as everything weaves in just fine, but I was just looking for suggestions on other ways that you guys start your chains that aren't going to fall apart obviously but don't have the knot in it as I'm looking at starting the 6 pointed star baby blanket and also have a few granny squares I want to work on. Any suggestions are greatly appriciated!! :D

-Kelli

Yes for rounds the magic ring really is great, but for any starting chain, I still loopnot, or whatever we call it, I always hate that to, I know a ladie that has NO knots anywhere in her work, she is totally amazing. I have watched her,many times an gave never get it.

I, too , use the magic ring for working in a round; but for a regular, starting chain, I do a slip knot. Don't know any other way to start a chain, so I am interested in hearing if there is a slip-knotless way.

I have never used a slip knot in my life to start a chain. I just loop the thread over the hook,hold the threads together under the hook with my index finger and thumb of the hand that holds the thread and start chaining. 2 pull throughs and you have a chain st with out a knot. Never had a problem with knots that way. Don't know if I explained it to well. I never really think about it, just do it.

Archived