First Felting

HollyM

Hi!

I did my first felted bag today. I think it turned out pretty well. I didn't use a real pattern, I just made a hat but wider & taller <g> I used Lion Fisherman's wool and a J hook. I used I cord for the handles. I colored it with Kool Aid on the stove but it wasn't as dark as I wanted so I added a little Wilton icing color.

One question I had, I like the texture of the fabric but I the stitches are still pretty well defined. A lot of the pictures I see online look like it's solid cloth if that makes sense. Is that something that changes if I let it felt longer or do I need to use a smaller hook or something else?

Let me know what you think!

<a href="http://img66.photobucket.com/albums/v201/ilexmi/" target="_new">crochet pictures</a>

Thanks!

Holly

I'm days away from felting my first bag, but I know you can felt it again in the washing machine if you don't like how it comes out. The more you do, the tighter the stitches get. Of course, you can't un-felt it, so you have to be sure the size is going to work.

I can't wait until I can felt my bag! I'd also love to see pictures of that hat if you can... hint hint hint... ;)

Oh my gosh Holly, where is my head!! I missed the link you provided of your pictures. :oops Sorry about that!! The bag looks lovely, I love that shade of blue. Now you've got me doubly motivated to get working on mine this evening! :thumbsup

Arrrggghhh! I just typed out a long reply explaining everything I did but I got an error message when I tried to post it and it dissapeared.

Short version cause I've got to run. I'm going to try to post the full pattern later tonight. It was single crochet in the round the whole way, nothing fancy at all. After getting the first few rows established I increased every 3rd row until it was the diameter I wanted. Then I did equal rows round & round until it was the height I wanted. I did do a little chain/skip thing near the top to make holes for the handle.

I felted it in the washer but since I have a front loading washer it was hard to check on it. I think I might try doing it in the sink next time.

I'm so glad I've found a craft I can actually FINISH and have it look like it's supposed to!!

Holly

Glad to hear you were able to felt in a front loader. I have a front loader as well and have been wondering about that (I have not tried felting yet).

Great job!!!! It looks fantastic.

What yarn did you use?

I'm hoping to have my next bag done by the end of the week. I'm also starting school today so I'm sure that pesky homework thing will get in the way.

Holly

I went back this morning and posted more about the bag in my blog. I laid awake last night, realizing that I'd done a very bad job writing about it. I was tired, but more awake staring at the ceiling than I was at the computer. So, hopefully I've fixed that now.

I used Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, Holly, that I dyed with Kool-Aid. I've got so many ideas for my next attempt, the hard part will be deciding what to do first!! :bang

HollyM, I really like how your bag turned out. How did you get the bottom to be flat so that the bag would stand up by itself? I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but did you say what yarn you used and how you dyed the bag?

From what I've heard, the best way to get the stitches to be completely muted, hdc works best. I have no experience with felting; so, you'll have to try it out to see how it works.

Does anybody know of any places to buy wool outside the US?

It was easy, the washing machine did most of the work. I just stood over it watching the agitator go round and round, wringing my hands. Then I remembered it would go a lot quicker if I wasn't there so I tore myself away; watched the clock like crazy.

The bag I did was done in hdc, it did a really good job felting but in a few areas. I probably could have run it through one more time, and still could. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was a bit smaller.

Pfirsch,

After I took the bag out of the washer it was stiff enough to stand up on it's own. I had a corningware casserole dish that was just the right size to fit in the bottom to shape & flatten it. I knew those things would come in good for something now that I'm too busy to cook <g> I didn't use any kind of stiffening on it so now that I'm using the bag, the bottom isn't flat any more. I could have tried spray starch or putting some cardboard in the bag but didn't bother. It still looks really good, just not flat.

I used Lion Brand Fisherman wool and dyed it with kool aid and Wilton icing paste.

Thanks for the hdc tip, I'm going to try that on my next one.

I just finished my 2nd bag tonight, have to take pictures tomorrow.

Holly

Archived