Question about LARGE hooks

Jimmie Lu

Question

I know when I make a gahn with an N hook you are sopose to use 2 strands. I did do one with only one strand and liked the texture light and airy! I am about to embark on using a S or Q hook am I sopose to use 2 strands? Say for example I am doing a shell gahn. What would happen if I only use one strand??? Any thoughts??

6 answers to this question

You would get a very lacy effect, but to be sure you like it, I really recommend doing a swatch with the yarn and hook you want to use. If you like the effect go for it, if not keep playing around, and keep notes on what you like or don't like. I should keep a notebook since my memory is going down fast.

I started a Q-hook afghan this evening using 3 strands of Homespun. I've used Q-hooks before, and I love them. I have never used them with just one skein, but it would be nice and lacy. With 2 or three strands, you get a nice dense afghan.

I've done several projects using large hooks and only one strand of yarn. I personally like the way it looks but to each his own... Try it for a few rows and that should tell you how it'll look. Some patterns need the extra strands, but others do not...

Personally I've found that if I'm using a large hook I tend to stay away from regular WW yarn, it's not stretchy enough. I like a Boucle or homespun if I'm using a large hook...

Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Archived