Totally, completely stumped w/this spiral shawl pattern

natalie058

Question

:think

Okay, I had been coveting this pattern for a while, and then several weeks ago I finally got it. So - I jump right in... and am just stopped in my tracks like 4 rounds in!

Usually I have no problem with these kinds of things - but I am getting absolutely *no* where and unfortunately, from what I've crocheted, I can't actually tell if what I've done is right or wrong!! I just cannot figure out what exactly this pattern is asking for me to do -- and after much confusion and head scratching, I come to you.

Follows is an excerpt from the pattern, hopefully enough to figure out why I am dumbfounded and how to correct it.

Ch 8 and join with sl st into first ch to form ring.

Round 1: ch 3, work 23 dc into ring, closing with 1 sl st into third st of round.

Round 2: ch 3 * 1 dc ch1 * total of 24 dc, closing with 1 sl st into 3rd st of round...

I'm fine up til here.

Round 3: ch 1 * 1 sc on st in previous row, ch 1 1 dc into ch of previos row*.

Okay, so I think here I'm increasing by 24 stitches total, cuz of the ch 1, right?

Round 4-8: *1 sc on st in previous row, ch 2, 1 dx into ch of previous row*.

Firstly, I'm assuming the dx is a typo for dc since it's never referred to elsewhere. Secondly - this is where I am thrown off. Now, I realize that I am increasing, because there is an extra ch... I guess what I am asking is... am I supposed to sc in sc, ch 2, dc in ch, sc in dc, ch 2 dc in ch?

Doesn't that add up to be a whole lot of increasing over the next couple rounds?

The whole pattern goes on in a similar confusing fashion... I just am not sure what I'm supposed to be doing... because if I do what I just explained above, I am okay until just a couple rounds later, where I get all fudged up again...

Rounds 9-11: *1 sc on st in previous row, ch 2, 2 dc in ch-loop*.

Right here I am tentative but okay...

Rounds 12-13: * 1 sc on st in previous row, ch 2, 3 dc in ch-loop*.

And here I am lost again. What about the 2 dc right in row before? How does this work????

*whimpers* Please help.

11 answers to this question

"Rounund 2: ch 3 * 1 dc ch1 * total of 24 dc, closing with 1 sl st into 3rd st of round... "

I think it may be badly written, but I believe you are actually only increasing one stitch at the beginning of round 2 and will have a TOTAL of 24 stitches on the round. "closing with 1 sl st into 3rd st" is most likely the 3rd ch.

I'll have to think on the rest. It is oddly written.

OMG! No wonder you're confused. I don't know what the pattern is for, but if it's not something that needs massive amounts of increases, here's what I think:

My first problem was with the way the rounds start. Round 2 s/b ch4 to make (dc, ch1). Otherwise, you have two dcs together and all the rest are separated by ch1. Round 3 s/b ch2 for sc, ch1, and then a dc to be consistent with the rest of the round (sc in dc, ch1, dc in ch).

For rounds 4 to 8, my first thought was what you said, but now I think the sc goes in the sc, then ch 2, dc in chain, then skip the dc and start again in the next sc.

Same for rounds 9 to 11, I'd say sc in the sc, ch 2, 2dc in the ch loop, then skip the dc and start over in the next sc.

And for rounds 12 and 13, sc in the sc, ch 2, 3dc in the ch loop, skip the 2dcs and start again in the next sc.

So this means:

R1 = 24sts

R2 = 24dc, 24 ch-1sps

R3 = 24sc, 24dc, 24 ch-1sps

R4 to 8 = 24sc, 24dc, 24 ch-2sps

R9 to 11 = 24sc, 48dc, 24 ch-2sps

R12 and 13 = 24sc, 72dc, 24 ch-2sps

:shrug Does that work?

Okay, I think I have it figured through round 4. Here is my interpretation:

Round 1 - obvious dc 23 times in ring for total of 24 stitches including beginning ch 3.

Round 2 - again, ch 3 (I would ch 4 so it is a dc, ch 1. though the pattern doesn't say to) then dc, ch 1 in each dc around. total 24 dc

Round 3 - ch 1, sc (in same stitch), [ch 1, dc] in chain, *sc in next dc, [ch 1, dc] in chain, repeat from * around, sl st in first sc to join (no join stitch given in pattern).

Round 4 - 8: ch 1 (again not given in pattern), sc in same stitch, [ch 2, dc] in chain, * sc in sc from previous row (skipping dc), [ch 2, dc] in chain. Repeat from * around, sl st in first sc to join (no join stitch given in pattern).

Because the pattern says 1 sc in st, I am guessing that it only wants 1 st for every dc, sc group. I think you could place the sc in either, just be consistent.

Round 9 - 11: ch 1 (again not given), sc in same stitch, [ch 2, 2 dc] in chain 2 loop, * sc in sc from previous row (skipping any dc between the chain loop and sc), [ch 2, 2 dc] in chain 2 loop. Repeat from * around, sl st in first sc to join (no join stitch given).

I think following the pattern of skipping the dc sts, you will find the rest of the pattern easier to understand. If the pattern said 1 sc on each st from previous row, then you would sc in each st, but it doesn't. Without seeing the picture of the finished piece it is hard to guess from the pattern which way they mean.

Because it says st, instead of sc or dc, it may mean to put 1 sc in each st on previous row, but that is not how I read it. Since you have the picture of what it should look like finished, try it both ways and see which looks right. I did work it up to row 4 and have pictures of rounds 2-4 if you want to see what I came up with. If you want more help, just email or pm me.

Hope all this helps. Again this is just my intrepretation of the pattern, since it is so badly written it is hard to guess as it could go either way.

I guess I should've linked to the pattern, oops! :blush

HERE IT IS

Isn't it gorgeous?

I've started and frogged the thing about 4 times now. The first times, I did it with all the increases, and it was getting waaay ruffley. So, then I tried it only increasing on rounds 4, 9, and 12, and working even over the rest of the rounds, and it looks like it's getting bunchy. The thin yarn and big hook makes a fabric so darn stretchy it's hard to tell if I'm doing it at all right!!

Man is that gorgeous. It is really hard to tell from the pictures though exactly how they did the stitches. Have you tried emailing them for clarification? I think I would probably go with the single sc in each sc, skipping the dc from the previous row. But without a better picture of the stitches up close it is really hard to tell. Sorry I can't help more.

It does look like there are quite a few increases to produce the ruffly look.

OOH! I've been eyeballing that pattern for awhile too! If you do email them and get some clarification, please post, as I still want to get this pattern. I'm really sorry to hear that it was written so poorly, but I do know how hard it can be to write a pattern (after working hard just to correct an existing one), so I try to be tolerant - as long as there is access to get help from the author.

So are you using the recommended yarn for this? I was seriously thinking about trying it out with some laceweight (such as Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud), and maybe going down a hook size or two. The Alpaca Cloud is so fuzzy, it's almost like a mohair, lol!

Oh, one other thing - when communicating with them, you might want to clarify whether you are supposed to join each round. Since it was not mentioned in the row instructions, they may not want you to join. I'm not sure, but wouldn't it tend to enhance the spiral effect if you DON'T join your rounds? Definitely something that should have been clearly stated in the pattern, though.

Actually, it does say not to join, but in an attempt not to just write the whole thing here, I omitted that part, since it wasn't vital to my understanding of the pattern. :)

And unfortunately - no author to contact is given credit on the pattern. I haven't gotten in touch with the girls at KPixie because I'm not sure they would be able to answer my questions - they only sell the pattern, after all.

I guess I'm just disappointed that the pattern I was so looking forward to has turned out to be a dud, for now at least.

Actually, it does say not to join, but in an attempt not to just write the whole thing here, I omitted that part, since it wasn't vital to my understanding of the pattern. :)

And unfortunately - no author to contact is given credit on the pattern. I haven't gotten in touch with the girls at KPixie because I'm not sure they would be able to answer my questions - they only sell the pattern, after all.

I guess I'm just disappointed that the pattern I was so looking forward to has turned out to be a dud, for now at least.

Well, the gals at kpixie may not be able to answer your questions, but they should at least know where they got the pattern from, shouldn't they? It's certainly a place to start anyway. I think I recall seeing that pattern in my Patternworks catalog too, which means there has to be some type of a distribution going on that can be traced back. They also would need to know if the pattern they are selling has problems.

I can certainly understand your disappointment - I'm feeling a tad disappointed myself since I had seriously been considering spending some precious-to-me dollars to get it. Guess I'll be sitting back and waiting awhile longer. Please do keep us posted if you ever get this resolved!

Archived