I've not seen this stitch

poemfish

Question

I was just playing around yesterday trying to find a nice stitch for an afghan and I did something that I haven't seen before.

I have seen a lot of patterns with long dc where you dc in a row or two below but I have never seen it with sc. I tried it and it looks really cool in two colors. You do two rows of a color then switch so you can carrry the color at the end of the row and don't have to cut.

Ch an even number. Sc across, ch 1 turn. Sc across, change colors halfway through the last stitch, ch 1, turn.

sc in the first stitch, for the 2nd stitch insert the hook below the 2nd sc (there happens to be a nice little hole there for you to stick the hook in) and finish the sc. Sc in next stitch and then do a long sc in the 4th stitch. Keep alternating stitches till the end. Ch 1, turn.

Sc across, switch colors halfway through the last stitch, ch 1 turn.

Alternate sc and long sc on this row, ch 1 turn and sc all the way back.

And you just keep on like this. each color will have 1 row of alternating sc and long sc and then a all sc row then switch colors.

It does better if you use a little bigger hook. I was using a J hook with ww.

I would take a pix but I can't find my digital camera.

michele

7 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure what you're explaining is the alternate spike stitch.

If it's what I think it is, it's square #29 from the 63 squares book, and also on page 154 in the Crochet Stitch Bible. It works up into a nice, dense fabric.

Here's Julie's square - does this look like what you have?

ETA: Upon closer review, I've realized that it's not the same thing. You have a row sc across that that stitch does not. :blush Whoops!!

That doesn't look like it but I could be wrong since that sample was made with one color. When you are working with 2 colors then you can really see the pattern. But, mine is pretty dense too. That is why I was using a little bigger hook.

michele

I haven't seen something like that before either (although sometimes I can't see the Vegemite in the fridge when it's smack bang in front of my face :lol ). It does sound interesting though. Is there any way you can post a pic of it so we can see what it looks like?

I think this might be more what you are talking about:

sham480.jpg, it gradually moves from three, two and one row below, but you can see the progression with the colour change.

I think this might be more what you are talking about:

sham480.jpg, it gradually moves from three, two and one row below, but you can see the progression with the colour change.

Wow, that is gorgeous! Is that an afghan you made?

Archived