LF: Bag I can line while flat without sewing seams.

jlvking

Question

Is there a shape that I can lay out flat and attach a lining to and then fold in someway to put handles on and make a bag?

3 answers to this question

I assume your lining is fabric, which is going to require sewing up the bottom and sides, so at least 2 seams if you don't want a flat bottom ( you can eliminate the bottom fabric lining seam by folding the lining at the bottom, but you are going to have to sew up the 2 sides of the fabric, sorry, and do some sewing by hand to attach it to the crochet at the top of the bag.  

But you can crochet the outer bag part without seams, by starting at the bottom and making a rectangle, or an oval  the size you want, or just a crochet chain, and then working around that shape without increasing once the bottom is established.  If one of these 'bottoms' appeal to you, we can explain how to work around the chain if that is new to you (it's not hard, but we get a lot of questions on patterns with ovals which require you to start with working up 1 side of the chain and down the other, so we give more detail on that if needed)

Note, fabric linings in my experience are usually a little bigger than the 'outer thing', to keep the stress off the outer fabric (I've sewn a lot of my own clothes for decades, including lined jackets for the office).  For a bag, I'd make the bag lining a somewhat longer and wider than the crochet part, and just attach it around the opening at the top of the bag, gathering it subtly ; this way the lining shouldn't 'pull' at the top, or as much as it otherwise would.

Clever!  Since I have my sewing machine right behind me in my 'she-cave' (spare bedroom and office when I worked from home) it never occurred to me to CROCHET the fabric together.  Notice how fine the yarn is, I was thinking 'bag' as a large tote-bag size and that probably jlvking was using medium weight yarn.  I wonder if doily thread might be an efficient medium to do the same thing, you could use the hook to poke the holes as you go, and mercerized thread, even as small as the common size 10, is pretty sturdy stuff.