Anyone know where to find a pattern to put together a similarly shaped bag?

Kayla Jackson

Question

I have the pattern for the cloud square, but there isn’t a pattern for the bag- I asked the person who sold me the square pattern and she just said she sewed the squares onto a canvas bag she had. So would anyone know where I can find a pattern for making a similarly shaped granny bag? I could then just use the cloud squares instead of the squares the pattern calls for.

image.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Tampa Doll, what a great site! 

To the OP, I think the hardest part might getting the not-crocheted handles attached in a way to be able to support some weight.  The bag in the photo you linked doesn't appear to be able to handle (oops, pun not intended)  much weight because the way the handle is attached, that would concern me; it looks like all the weight may be hanging on a couple of threads for each of the 4 handle ends.  It's a big bag, might work for a project bag but not a bag to take to the grocery store.  It would work reasonably well if there is a 'leather' circle all around the top of the bag we can't see that is covered by crochet, which would distribute the weight all the way around versus on just 4 points.  (I hope that makes sense)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Tampa Doll, what a great site! 

To the OP, I think the hardest part might getting the not-crocheted handles attached in a way to be able to support some weight.  The bag in the photo you linked doesn't appear to be able to handle (oops, pun not intended)  much weight because the way the handle is attached, that would concern me; it looks like all the weight may be hanging on a couple of threads for each of the 4 handle ends.  It's a big bag, might work for a project bag but not a bag to take to the grocery store.  It would work reasonably well if there is a 'leather' circle all around the top of the bag we can't see that is covered by crochet, which would distribute the weight all the way around versus on just 4 points.  (I hope that makes sense)

Well the maker did say she sewed the crocheted part on to a canvas bag she had, so maybe the crochet is just around the handles from that.

Edited by Kayla Jackson
  • Like 1

That is a brilliant idea.  This way, the crochet is just decoration and not supporting any weight.

I've never crocheted a market bag out of yarn, only heavy duty cord I got at the hardware store, because of the concern about sturdiness.  

• Like 1

Nice, I like that idea. Michael's sells plain canvas bags, you could attach the squares to them. You might be able to make them detachable, so you could change designs ounce in a while. I have the Leisure Arts leaflet Enviro-Totes (1992) in 4 different sizes/shapes. The grocery tote is size/shape of a store paper bag, but with handles. All are made with heavy cotton :yarn . I made the small draw string bag with rug :yarn and it was strong enough (I wonder where they are :think ?). Good luck.

Ellie 13