Camp Boggy Creek #boggycamp2024 #sendmeyourgrannysquares

ambiekraftsreads

Hello. I don't know if y'all have heard but there is a camp in Florida called Camp Boggy Creek for kids with serious illnesses. They get to go to camp for a week just like a regular kid. There are doctors, nurses, staff, and volunteers and they help the kids to be able to do all the normal camp activities. These activities include swimming, fishing, archery, arts and crafts, and many other things. Each week they have 150 kids who all have the same illness come. So Nancy at She'z got Yarn 2 on YouTube 's mom wanted to crochet blankets for the kids and she asked Nancy to make some, she said yes. Then Nancy ask Lynette at Charmed Grammy Crochet on YouTube to make some and she said yes. As Lynette started thinking about it, she thought we have this YouTube platform lets open it up to the YouTube streets and they collected 380 blankets last year. This year they'd like to double it. The blankets go on each bed and when the kids go home they get to take the blanket with them. They also have Billie The Crafty Floridian on board. They show off the blankets they have received that week on Wednesday night on Billie's YouTube channel.

This year just a few months ago Lynann from Nina's Knot's Crochet on YouTube started collecting granny squares. She hates to make them but doesn't mind sewing them together into blankets. She also thought sending granny squares would be cheaper for people then sending a whole blanket. She shows off the squares she has gotten that week on Friday's.

All links below. ⤵️

ShezgotYarn

CharmedGrammyCrochet

CraftyFloridian

ninasknotscrochet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Wednesday Boggie Creek Blankets that were sent.  Fabulous!

I'm still making/finishing a lapghan for a local crochet charity group.  Then I'll focus on making some for Camp Boggy Creek.

Getting inspiration, window shopping here:

https://1001patterns.com/category/crochet-patterns/crochet-afghans-blankets/

https://1001patterns.com/modern-crochet-squares-and-blocks/

• Like 1

I got inspired.  🙂  When I finish mine (blankets not squares) I plan on sending directly to the Camp.  I checked out Lynanne's size she wants sent (5x5 inch squares).  Saw a video of squares that have been mailed to her,  to turn into blankets.  kudos to Her!

The one in the photo will be 5 across and 6 rows. 

IMG_E0878.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pineknott said:

I have two questions 

any color and the size square, I've been waiting for something like this to roll around again, did this many a time years ago

For the squares they can be any color and need to be 5 inches x 5 inches and done in #4 acrylic.

Here's where to send the squares:

Lynanne Moore

4010 NE 173rd Ct

Silver Springs, FL 34488

Squares are the goal today.  Squares with hearts (hookedbyRobin has a cute one); also adding appliques. (cat head, dog paw, crab, dolphin...)

Took a quick break to watch Becky's egg muffins video (oodles of duck eggs now) and then saw her 2 ingredient Naan bread. Printed a recipe for this by Rich and Delish. (another goal...for tomorrow)  Have a restful Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

Squares are the goal today.  Squares with hearts (hookedbyRobin has a cute one); also adding appliques. (cat head, dog paw, crab, dolphin...)

Took a quick break to watch Becky's egg muffins video (oodles of duck eggs now) and then saw her 2 ingredient Naan bread. Printed a recipe for this by Rich and Delish. (another goal...for tomorrow)  Have a restful Sunday.

I bet those squares will be super cute. Please share pics.

Never had a duck egg. Does it taste like chicken eggs or different?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambiekraftsreads said:

Duck eggs taste the same as chicken eggs but bigger.  My friend owns a farm which I get duck eggs from along with free range meat.  I use one duck egg in place of two chicken eggs.

2 hours ago, ambiekraftsreads said:

Duck eggs are a bit richer, higher protein. I read some years ago that the bakers secret is duck eggs instead of chicken. 🙂 

Turns out to get my sea critters small enough for 5 inch squares requires me to drop to size 5 thread. Too tedious for many, but I will make the dolphin maybe the crab 🦀.  I think the paw 🐾 and cat 🐱 will work in sport with an e hook. I’ll get this dolphin first then tomorrow check the sizing on the other. I made one paw and cat head with cotton yarn from coaster patterns. 

0DE32C72-C164-42EF-8C53-A772402A3AAA.jpeg

ADFFB97B-4E0C-4920-9970-8F12DACA9479.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

FYI if making squares (now) for next years Boggy Blanket drive.  New size and ...max 20 per person/package.

2-9-24

please follow ninasknotcrochet (link in first post). She has changed her mind about the size and other details.  :)

Edited by NCcountrygal
Update
  • Like 1