Help understanding pattern

Nicolapen

Question

I am creating a soap saver pouch. https://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2011/12/little-gifties.html#links

The pattern says to "When you come to the opposite side of the little sack (center stitch), chain up about 16 stitches, then sc into same stitch to make a loop. "

I have been crocheting SC in the back loop around

Previous sentance is"Once you have about 12 rows (or a sack large enough for your soap bar), skip 2 stitches in the center of one row for a hole."

The chains are to make a loop

6 answers to this question

"Once you have about 12 rows (or a sack large enough for your soap bar), skip 2 stitches in the center of one row for a hole." (this is the little hole, the top one in the 3rd photo from the top)"  my comment = it should have said "chain 2 or 3 then skip 2 stitches in the center of 1 row for a hole" then continue around.  

"When you come to the opposite side of the little sack (center stitch), chain up about 16 stitches, then sc into same stitch to make a loop."  my comment = I'm not sure how to say it any clearer than the pattern did, you have a long chain made into the air, then you turn it into a loop by making a SC into the same stitch that the chain came out of , in order to secure the loop.  Then, weave in the end--don't cut the end short, leave several inches for weaving in so it is secure, as this loop is going to take a lot of wear and tear; weave in several directions, and if one side needs to be a little messy to do this, have it be the inside.  I hope all that make sense?.

16 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

"Once you have about 12 rows (or a sack large enough for your soap bar), skip 2 stitches in the center of one row for a hole." (this is the little hole, the top one in the 3rd photo from the top)"  my comment = it should have said "chain 2 or 3 then skip 2 stitches in the center of 1 row for a hole" then continue around.  

"When you come to the opposite side of the little sack (center stitch), chain up about 16 stitches, then sc into same stitch to make a loop."  my comment = I'm not sure how to say it any clearer than the pattern did, you have a long chain made into the air, then you turn it into a loop by making a SC into the same stitch that the chain came out of , in order to secure the loop.  Then, weave in the end--don't cut the end short, leave several inches for weaving in so it is secure, as this loop is going to take a lot of wear and tear; weave in several directions, and if one side needs to be a little messy to do this, have it be the inside.  I hope all that make sense?.

And when you scroll down there are very good photos showing what the loop and hole looks like.

No, you keep going around in the same direction, it clearly says keep going round and round in a spiral. 

Continuing to work in the same direction around, NO turning, until you have 'about 12 rounds'.  Then, you interrupt working into every stitch in 2 places in the last round - in 1 spot you make a little loop of chains and skip a couple of stitches (as I said above, this makes room for the bigger loop to go thru), and directly across that spot in the opening, you make a longer loop (without skipping any stitches between this time, because the opening of this loop is not used), that will get threaded thru the smaller loop to close the bag.

Really, do take a look at the third photo of the bag, it should be clear what is going on - the little loop is at the top, the big loop is at the bottom of the photo.

@Granny Square you said in your first comment "then you turn it into a loop by making a SC into the same stitch that the chain came out of" which I took to mean SC of current row not row before

I realise now you do 2 SC in one stitch. One before and one after chains. 

I saw the same thing in a different pattern but worded differently and looked at some projects on ravalery