Where to find pastel variegated thread

Lois Truxell

I often see pictures of beautiful doilies done in very light pastels, but the thread on Amazon is never that pale. An example is from the book Favorite Throws and Table Toppers to Crochet, Lily Pond, p. 49. Beautiful shaded light green. Any ideas on who carries thread like this. The shaded colors of Aunt Lydia's have too much brights in them for my taste.

I just deleted what I wrote and posted a couple of minutes ago because my brain grabbed onto the word "Lily" and thought of the old Lily brand yarn crochet books from mid-last century.  I assume it's a pattern in this book, right?  I don't have the book, but most doily pattern books I've seen have been specific about the thread brand/style/color etc. that was used.  On the other hand, yarn colors and styles come and go, sometimes pretty quickly, so the that was mentioned in the book might not exist any more.

I agree that the colors I find locally at least of Aunt Lydia's is pretty limited.  Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, by chance?  We just got one locally a few years ago, and it has more selection of thread colors in their brand (and I think you can order online from them).  You also might check out herrschners.com, webs.com, marymaxim.com

Edited by Granny Square

I just found a photo. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lily-pond  I'm not aware of thread that looks like that (green and white?) This link is to the Ravelry pattern database (you can't buy the pattern at that link, but the pattern is in their database and tells you where you can find it, however it may not longer be available because the link to the pattern is not working. 

I seem to remember CrochetWorld would have a free doily offering for a while, I downloaded a bunch, plus I have a few digital magazine issues...AHA!!!  Except it just says '450 yards shaded greens'.  Bah humbug, not helpful!  The flowers were each made center out; If I were making this, I'd probably choose a shade of yellow for the flower center, whatever flower color for the flowers (or each flower a different flower color if you want), and then all the same shade of green for the outer part.  If my imagination is functioning properly, you could make each round of leaves a different shade of green by turning each round and using bobbins at that point, (by 'round', I mean not crochet round, but rather the inner circle of complete leaves 1 color, the outer circle of complete leaves another color), but that would be a pain in the rear for the 4 rounds they overlap.  (I make a lot of doilies, and tweak most of them; this would be an onerous tweak).

Edit, I found this...https://www.amazon.com/Threadart-Cotton-Multicolor-Crochet-Thread/dp/B099CQB1GN?th=1

Edited by Granny Square

I've used thread art variegated for doll dresses and I like it.

Creative Yarn Source has darker variegated so likely not the colors you want for this.  However, not a bad source to know about if you decide you want a larger selection of thread sizes as they carry the most colors of varied sizes of crochet thread.

.......edited, I should have thought of this earlier - if you are a member of Ravelry, one of the projects for your pattern is all in white, and another has pink center flowers, and solid green leaves, and a little pink around the edge.  Just in case all-white appeals to you.  (I make a lot of vintage doilies, and many have elements in color, like added on flowers, but many more are monochrome.

Link to Ravelry pattern page, you can see the white one on that page but I think you need to be a member to look at the one in color to see the members' projects.

Edited by Granny Square