Crochet hat pattern

Nicolapen

Question

Making a crochet 'n' create sun hat. The flat circle before no increases makes a hat slightly too small for my head. I am adding another round with 1/4 number of increases will this affect length of hat. 

Edited by Nicolapen
Changed question

5 answers to this question

I make hats according to the info that Bgs shared above (just basic geometry, really) - for a top-down hat which starts with a closed circle, the circumference of the wearer's head divided by pi = the diameter that you need to make the initial circle.  Example, my head is 22", divided by 3.14 is very conveniently is about as close to 7"as you can get, so for a hat to fit me I make an initial circle of 7" - I would rather have a had stretch a bit to fit ME than be a little loose, but it's easy to do the math to figure out the fit (my hair is straight, probably someone with curly hair would like more positive ease).  Then, the length as long as you want it to be.

I measure the length from the center of the circle however, because while the circle starts out flat, (in my experience) when you put it on your head, it changes to a curved form to fit the head.  I guess play with it and see how it works for you, I know it's annoying to rip out a few rows, but sometimes that's the only way to get the best result, that you'll be happy with in the end.

Example, the hat below started with a flat circle around a big (flat) snowflake in the center top with increases in rounds of SC in the round to make it 7" to fit me, then was just plain SC without increasing until the brim, which switched to post stitches.  But to disagree with Bgs a tiny bit (or at least for certain hat styles),  you can see that the initial flat circle is pulled into a curve to fit the head, it doesn't stay flat if the hat is close fitting like this.  (I like to make hat brims a bit long-ish and flare a little to keep the rain off my glasses, where I live we get a lot of 'drizzle weather' in the winter, so I might have added a few stitches on the brim round.)

The center would stay flat for a beret or slouchy style, tho.

Snowflake Hat Rev 3.JPG

Edited by Granny Square

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I make hats according to the info that Bgs shared above (just basic geometry, really) - for a top-down hat which starts with a closed circle, the circumference of the wearer's head divided by pi = the diameter that you need to make the initial circle.  Example, my head is 22", divided by 3.14 is very conveniently is about as close to 7"as you can get, so for a hat to fit me I make an initial circle of 7" - I would rather have a had stretch a bit to fit ME than be a little loose, but it's easy to do the math to figure out the fit (my hair is straight, probably someone with curly hair would like more positive ease).  Then, the length as long as you want it to be.

I measure the length from the center of the circle however, because while the circle starts out flat, (in my experience) when you put it on your head, it changes to a curved form to fit the head.  I guess play with it and see how it works for you, I know it's annoying to rip out a few rows, but sometimes that's the only way to get the best result, that you'll be happy with in the end.

Example, the hat below started with a flat circle around a big (flat) snowflake in the center top with increases in rounds of SC in the round to make it 7" to fit me, then was just plain SC without increasing until the brim, which switched to post stitches.  But to disagree with Bgs a tiny bit (or at least for certain hat styles),  you can see that the initial flat circle is pulled into a curve to fit the head, it doesn't stay flat if the hat is close fitting like this.  (I like to make hat brims a bit long-ish and flare a little to keep the rain off my glasses, where I live we get a lot of 'drizzle weather' in the winter, so I might have added a few stitches on the brim round.)

The center would stay flat for a beret or slouchy style, tho.

Snowflake Hat Rev 3.JPG

No we actually agree.  I didnt explain it very well.