Stuck with HDC/SC alternating pattern scarf

Julia from NorCal

Question

I'm doing a simple scarf pattern but need help with the turns/edges or perhaps the # of starting chains. I haven't done crochet in a long time and am bit rusty. 

Started with chain of 22. 

First row was SC

then chain 1 and turn

Second row HDC then SC then HDC and so on. I got to the end which I think had a SC so I did chain 1 and turned 

Further rows were a repeat of same

I'm stuck because now I'm at the end of a row something doesn't seem right. I'm about 5-6 rows along. 

Might be the # of chains at the end I'm doing before the turn.  

Maybe I should have had an odd # of starting chains so that the both edges are alternating SC and HDC.  

I've frogged the last few stitches and I'm still stuck. 

---Bottom line is I don't mind frogging back to the SC row to start again or even starting over completely. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've done this pattern many times but that was well over 10 years ago. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Julia from NorCal
clarification

2 answers to this question

HDC is not my favorite stitch so I don't use it a lot, but I know some patterns call for a chain 1, some chain 2 as a turning chain; and sometimes the chain does count as a stitch, sometimes it does not. 

Your pattern should tell you whether the HDC turning chain counts as a stitch or not.  If I were making this, I'd treat both the same (chain 1, does not count as a stitch).  Whether you can may depend on whether you make lofty or short stitches; I make short ones so it would work for me.  

What "doesn't seem right?"  Is it getting narrower or wider?  If you started with 22 chains and the first row was SC, and you weren't supposed to be increasing or decreasing, you should be working across 21 stitches (notice, this IS an odd number) for all rows (I'm assuming a muffler-style scarf), so you already should be working into an odd number of stitches across.  Is that still your stitch count, or are you losing/gaining stitches?  Are you gaining them on 1 side and losing them on the other? 

Bgs just answered as I was looking for a pattern (and couldn't remember the name griddle stitch), she had the same idea as I did- your piece might not look right if you are making SCs into SCs, and HDCs into HDCs.