Pictures on graph paper

Years ago, I found a pattern for Winnie the Pooh holding balloons on graph paper. I printed it out and started to crochet it. It was a small baby blanket. Today I would like to make a larger blanket with a different picture. The problem is that I would have to download the picture and print it on graph paper myself. My question is will this work as well as what I had with Winnie the Poo.  Each square on the graph paper would be one stitch all done in single crochet and switching colors where needed.  So instead of having a prepared picture on graph paper, I’m trying to take pictures and put them on the graph paper myself. I was just wondering if anybody else has ever done this. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Welcome to the Introduction section of Crochetville.  Oodles of topics and resources for you to check out.  That said, perhaps these websites will help.

https://thecrochetcrowd.com/make-graph-crochet-picture-afghan/

https://thecrochetcrowd.com/make-your-own-custom-graphghans/

How To Crochet Portraits Into A Graphgan - Nicki's Homemade Crafts (nickishomemadecrafts.com)

Well, I have one that is Pooh holding a sunflower.  I got the pattern from Free graphs  It is on face book.  They may have more pictures you might like better

Another if you like c2c there is  C2C Graphs | Groups | Facebook

You could try either of these if you like.  Good luck.

There are programs that do this for you if you have the pic on your computer, here is one https://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

The thing is, if you have (example) Pooh standing on the ground with blue sky behind him, areas at the edge of Pooh (like the sky, the ground he's standing on) might get 'combined' with the pooh color in some of the pixels, or if Pooh is outlined in black, that color might be in the mix too.  You will have to make a decision of what square needs to be what color; this would also happen if you printed it on graph paper.  

Also, most graph paper is made of rather huge squares, like a quarter of an inch, so if you print on graph paper it is going to be more appropriate for corner to corner stitch than single crochet (IIRC, the graph paper I have is (digs in drawer)---interesting, apparently metric and exactly half a centimeter) and 40 and a fraction squares across the page.  That would be barely enough for a Pooh potholder in SC, and not even that big of a blanket.  Half a centimeter is about the size of 1 SC in US 4 weight yarn.

You could consider making a bigger blanket AROUND the smaller Pooh of the original Pooh graph.  Or sort of like corner to corner but worked in plain DC rows, follow the original graph and make each square 3 DC; if your original graph in SC made a Pooh that was 1 foot square, this would give you a Pooh at least twice as big, depending on your stitch tension; but it will be more pixilated (jagged edges).

Edited by Granny Square
fix spelling