Celtic Mandala Throw

ShelleySargent

Question

Hi! New to forum. Would love help. I have this pattern and watching video. I’m on round 7 and have 8 extra stitches😩 I counted when in the round and several rows and was on track. The CH 3 doesn’t count and didn’t work it.
 This happens to me with granny squares that start looking like X shape instead of square. What am I doing wrong? Where could I be adding two stitches per side?

Thank you!!!

5 answers to this question

I don't own this pattern so I can't comment on specific stitch counts.  Link to what the end item looks like

Typically increases happen only at the corners working in the round around square or rectangular items.  

My advice on your project is to rip back to wherever row your count was right (or since you are only 7 rows in, start over), use stitch markers to mark the corners, and stop and count stitches each round.  I have been crocheting for decades, and use stitch markers all the time, and also count stitches all the time (and still goof on occasion and have to rip).  This pattern is a busy one stitch-wise and not one suited for going into "auto-pilot" I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Welcome to Crochetville,

I agree with Granny Square.  Stitch markers will be your best friend, especially with something as elaborate as this pattern.  I always use stitch markers, they really do help.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celtic-mandala-throw/comments

These comments include a link to a video and also to an Annie's errata page.

Wow!  A lot of issues with this pattern.  Great post with providing this link.

Thank you for the replies and the link. I will rip it out and try again with stitch markers. It’s something I’m in the bad habit of doing because every time I crochet a square blanket that starts in round (never ending granny for example) I end up with an X shape after many rounds due to adding stitches. Thanks again!

• Like 1