Entrelac tunisian crochet issues

Nicolapen

I don't know how to make it straight as you are working it, but I've seen videos on various ways to 'fill in' the triangles to make a border after the fact.  I think at least one of them was something on the order of starting at the edge with a short stitch, and making increasingly taller and taller stitches until you hit the low point, and then reverse the order of the stitches; repeat.

I admit I'm no expert on Tunisian, but I did make a baby blanket years ago that was 1 row of entrelac and 2 rows of "Catherine Wheels" *, and it had straight edges.  It probably was in a Crochet World magazine but there may be similar free ones out there.  That would solve the problem, it probably started with the top half of a wheel an ended with a bottom half, so the edges would be straight across.  

I'll root around and see if I can find that pattern or a similar one.

*if you aren't familiar with these, the wheels are made over 2 rows:  an upside down shell stitch on the first row, and a right side up shell stitch centered over the upside down one in the next row.

Whoa, this is sort of funny, bottom photo is my blanket, pattern photo is at the top.  (Ravelry has asked to use a couple my doily photos on the pattern page, I must have forgotten about this one).  It doesn't say the pattern is available anywhere but the magazine tho.  I couldn't find another one with the Catherine Wheels.   https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tunisian-shells-baby-blanket

Kim Guzman is the Queen of Tunisian, she has a free pattern that is 'similar to entrelac' but it has a softer look to the edges than classic entrelac that might interest you. 

Here is a free pattern that fills in the edges with half squares to make them straight.

From Red Heart, filling in the edges.

Edited - I could have sworn when I first started answering, you were asking for straight edges, and I see now there is an edit and you are asking about 'holeless' entrelac.  Can you post a photo?  Or are you referring to the (normal) sawtooth edges as holes?  

Edited by Granny Square

@grannysquare I did change my question a few minutes aferwards as I could not delete it. there was no answers when I did though. 

Sorry I cannot post a picture of my work as I frogged it but I have done a picture of some squares with an arrow pointing to where I had the holes. 

entrelac.png

This shows how to make a square or rectangle if you are asking in how to fill in to make straight edges.

But if you are saying you have gaps exactly where your arrows are pointing that is going to have something to do with your tension and not pulling in stitches tight enough. For me in general crocheting joins tend to want to be on loose side so I make an extra effort to snug them up.   Its compounded if you tend to crochet loose as you are working loose stitches into loose stitches which tends to leave holes or gaps.  

Hi Nicolapen, interesting question.  

I sometimes keep test swatches, and just dug up what I think is my first entrelac test swatch, which also has the triangles filled in around the edges so it's a rectangle (I think I may have just improvised those, just a matter of making each row shorter than the one before).  I'd scan it so you could see that I do have a couple of tiny holes where your arrows are, but not to such a degree that they'd show up in the scan--but the rest of the 'join spots' don't have noticeable  holes.  I agree with Bgs, if you are having an issue in 1 spot like that, pay attention to your tension and snug up the stitches there - that is probably what I did on my swatch after spotting the 2 little holes.