Red Dog

RED DOG

Question

9 answers to this question

I can think of 2 ways -

(1) Items made in the round, center-out, are typically done without turning.  For example a  granny square, a doily, a hat worked from the top down, a toy doll

(2) There is a method to make blankets with fringe on each side, where after a row you cut the end leaving several inches of tail and pull the tail thru  to stabilize it, and start the next row in the first stitch of the row you just finished.  Later you trim all the ends even.  These are worked in the back loop only, which keeps the stitches lined up in a straight line.  (If you don't do this, you will get a trapezoid shape not a rectangle).  edit - link to a blanket worked this way https://diysmartly.com/navajo-indian-diamond-afghan-free-pattern/

Edited by Granny Square

I completely forgot about Tunisian.   Your left handed link reminded me of a method that LOOKS like you haven't  turned, which I keep meaning to try.  On the tapestry crochet site, there is a video that shows 2 methods: presumably the same backwards left handed method above, but also a 'purl' method; if I recall correctly you DO turn, but make the stitch a different way so it looks like it was made same side facing.

13 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I completely forgot about Tunisian.   Your left handed link reminded me of a method that LOOKS like you haven't  turned, which I keep meaning to try.  On the tapestry crochet site, there is a video that shows 2 methods: presumably the same backwards left handed method above, but also a 'purl' method; if I recall correctly you DO turn, but make the stitch a different way so it looks like it was made same side facing.

https://www.shadylane.com Here is the link.  It is the Howling Wolf pattern which I have not downloaded yet because I have never crocheted an afghan right side only but I am thinking it might be the first way you suggested. 

Thank you

I went to that first link you sent and if I understand correctly you end your row with a 4” piece of yarn and then go back to the beginning of the row and start a new row also leaving a piece of fringe so you always working right to left.  So I guess because you are not turning there are no turning chains involved.  Thanks.

I agree, this looks like a similar construction concept as the Navajo pattern --  the above note says "do not turn, leave a 4" end of yarn at the start and end of each row for fringe".  

Your pattern uses the unused front loops of certain stitches as a place to put DCs that will sit on top of the fabric, to form the raised teddy bears and hearts.  Cute design!

11 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I agree, this looks like a similar construction concept as the Navajo pattern --  the above note says "do not turn, leave a 4" end of yarn at the start and end of each row for fringe".  

Your pattern uses the unused front loops of certain stitches as a place to put DCs that will sit on top of the fabric, to form the raised teddy bears and hearts.  Cute design!

Thanks so much for your help.  Have a great day.