Crochet symbol I’ve not seen before

cjsull

Question

9 answers to this question

I haven't encountered that symbol before.  Is there a photo of the pattern's end result that might yield a clue?  Could it possibly be for a flower-colored bead, since it looks like it's sprouting from a stem and has leaves on either side?

edited to add, if you could save the pic in a pdf, jpg, jpeg, or png format, when you are in 'typing a post mode' here, at the bottom of the text box there is paper clip area where you can drag a file of those formats to attach a photo.

Edited by Granny Square

You're welcome!  I just happened to pop back here as you added the photo.

I make mostly doilies nowadays and often tweak them to suit me so am not afraid to 'boldly go and try something' because I can always rip it out if it didn't work the way I thought it might.  Also, one thing I often do if a (usually written) pattern is unclear is to peer closely at the pattern photo.  As you said, it's a bit blurry, but the photo does not match the schematic in that area.

I was initially going to say "I think they are clusters, I'm seeing solid white areas where those odd  symbols are", but look closely -- in that area of the flower, there ARE white blobs that look like clusters, in 2 rows in the center of the leaf/flower, but the count of the 'clusters' in the photo doesn't match the schematic - in the photo, the inner row is showing 4 and outer row 2, but the schematic is the other way around.

If it were me, I'd treat them as clusters in the placement of the schematic, not the photo, because it makes sense for a 'maybe flower' with spreading petals to be there, instead of a 'pointy spot' like the photo.  But then, the photo makes a nice  pointy corner...crocheter's choice, whichever you think looks better.  (edit, and lies flatter!  which might be the points)

Edited by Granny Square

I'm pretty sure the dots are meant as chains by their position (I'm always mixing up the symbols for chains and slst, but if dots are in the air it can't be a slst).  I was just on Ravelry and the OP posted the same question there, and the suggested answer was 'bobbles', which makes sense and not too far off from my guess of clusters.

That symbol looks more like a puff stitch.  Usually that symbol is more rounded but judging by the position of it, I think it is a puff.  A bobble stitch symbol has lines in it so I don't think it is a bobble. Granny Square is right, crocheters choice at this point, I would consider a puff or cluster on that pattern.

Edited by Lacycrochet

Here's a better photo of the doily. It looks like that particular stitch may be some kind of popcorn or puff type stitch. I concur with Granny Square on the dots being chains, as seen in this photo. Hope this helps.

Edited by ReniC