What does “pat across” mean

Jazz86

Question

6106EF86-BC5E-4236-841B-8F8D13829A31.thumb.png.e73cb697f6f9ff1b214f0c3ef33e1f57.pngI am working on the following dog sweater pattern: 

https://www.yarnspirations.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-spinrite/default/dw5ebfe659/PDF/CAC0713-009903M.pdf

The “shape leg opening” section of the pattern instructs to “pat across” the next 5 sts. I don’t understand what this means.

Up until now, the pattern has typically alternated dc with sc, so I could continue that pattern for the next 5, but I’m not sure whether to start with an sc or dc. I’m also not sure if I should increase, as some of the body rows instruct to increase. 

It looks like there is a Reddit thread on this exact question and pattern but I don’t understand the response: 

Any help is appreciated! 

Edited by Jazz86

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville.  

It means that you keep working the pattern with the next 5 stitches.  The pattern is what you have been usings for the rows.  There may be something in the begining before you start what you are making,  that shows you the pattern stitches that make up the pattern.

I am sure someone will be here to explain it better.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Thank you! I assume this means to continue to dc in sc and sc in dc then? 

The other confusing part here is that it says to turn and work 3 rows even in pat, but doesn’t instruct what the turning chain should be (or if there should be a turning chain). Does it mean to continue with turning chains of 3 for each of the next 3 rows? Or should I not create a turning chain? 

I agree with what Tampa Doll said, the turning chain in any pattern is to bring the yarn up to the level of the first stitch in the row, so the turning chain should 'match' the first stitch - typically 1 for SC, 3 for DC.

This stitch has other names that aren't coming to me, but I learned it as 'up down' stitch.  You work a SC into a DC, and a DC into a SC in the row below. 

By this time the pattern writer assumes you see whats going on.  You picked up on the "in pattern" to be dc in sc and sc in dc.  Okay now look back at how it worked when doing the body.  When rows needed to start with a sc it had you chain one.  If you need to start row with dc you would chain 3.  The "work 3 rows even" means work same number of stitches in these rows so no increases or decreases.