Star stitch in rows

Nicolapen

Question

If I crocheted star stitch in rows how big a sample would it be wise to make to get an idea of size required for project

Star stitch using rows of US single crochet 

Edited by Nicolapen

5 answers to this question

Confession: have been crocheting for decades and never worked a star stitch, in the round or otherwise  Here is a youtube video that shows it can be done. (star stitch in the round, that is)

However, have you ever used the mattress stitch to sew 2 crocheted sides together?  It can be pretty darned invisible, this I have done a fair amount of, in knit and crochet.  There are a lot of 'how to' demos on the internet, many of them mattress stitch 2 pieces together using a glaringly contrasting color to show how how invisible it is.  It's really fast and easy, basically a running stitch back and forth between 2 sides of fabric, taking advantage of the thickness of the fabric.

@grannysquare Sorry I changed my mind about working in the round but was unable to delete my question so altered it instead. Possibly at the same time you were writing a reply. I have used the mattress stitch but only on the bottom where stitches are obvious. 

Ah!  Well sometimes people search the help section to see if a topic has already been covered, so the video might help someone else.

As to your revised question in rows versus rounds--what you could do for this or any similar sort of thing in rows (washcloth, placemat, etc.) is make a chain a bit longer than you think you need, turn, and work back, and then stop when it gets to the length you want.  Later, you can pick out the unused chains - it's a tiny bit of a pain because you have to pull out each loop one at a time (it doesn't unravel), but  I'd rather pick than re-do a 250 stitch start because I miscounted and was short a couple of chains.  It's also helpful if you are unsure of the stitch multiple.

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Ah!  Well sometimes people search the help section to see if a topic has already been covered, so the video might help someone else.

As to your revised question in rows versus rounds--what you could do for this or any similar sort of thing in rows (washcloth, placemat, etc.) is make a chain a bit longer than you think you need, turn, and work back, and then stop when it gets to the length you want.  Later, you can pick out the unused chains - it's a tiny bit of a pain because you have to pull out each loop one at a time (it doesn't unravel), but  I'd rather pick than re-do a 250 stitch start because I miscounted and was short a couple of chains.  It's also helpful if you are unsure of the stitch multiple.

The making extra chains is the absolutely best tip I ever learned from you.  Besides not being able to accurately keep count of my stitches it really helps me if I am shooting for a specific width---so much better to undo extra chains rather than frogging the first row to add chains and the making the first row again.

I initially saw the instruction on vintage patterns to 'make a chain x inches long' and then later 'cut off the excess chain', the second part I've never been brave enough to literally do, so I just reinterpreted it a little bit.