Toque MISERY!

Kuruku

Question

I have no idea what's happened -- but all of a sudden(ish) none of the toques I am crocheting are working out.

I use a very standard pattern that I've memorized -- Interweave Crochet did a little piece on a similar pattern last fall, if anyone remembers, essentially how to crochet a basic hat. Nowadays, though, all hats that I begin are forming a strange shape, which I'm going to try desperately to describe. Imagine the hat is folded in half. The half in which the rows join is fine. The other half is kind of 'scooped outwards', so that when you're looking at the hat from a bird's eye view, the 'scooped' side appears to be much longer and the original ring that I started with is totally off-center. Does this make sense? Or is it totally vague?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could it be something having to do w/my joins -- too tight? Skipping a stitch? I can't tell.

:(

5 answers to this question

I take it you are working in rounds?? What stitch are you using? I am not familiar with the pattern you are referring to. Would you be able to post a picture of the hat?

did you by any chance maybe change from a sc to a dc? that sounds like what happened that you made i different stitch. pm me with the part of the pattern you are having trouble with and i will help if i can:hug :hug

My impression is that when you join rounds, you DON'T crochet in the small stich right before the slst that you join to, and you don't crochet in the slst either. So, essentially -- I crochet in the 2nd to last st, join, 1-2 slst depending on the stich I'm using, then continue on w/the next row.

I'm considering trying one of the many hat patterns that instructs you to NOT join, but rather continue on in a spiral, using a stitch marker. The only thing that concerns me a little is -- aren't you left with a sort of 'lump' at the end, w/the end of the last row that you can't join anything to?

when i make hats i do the rounds with dc and increase each round to get the hat big enough and sl st into the chain at beginning of round which is either 2 ch or 3 chain and usually top of the chain at beginning of previous round. hope that makes sense :hook

Archived