Washcloths and Dishcloths

gemlovesjasper

Question

The question I have is when making a washcloth I do a foundation row to equal 8". But, when I turn it and dc from 2nd row on...somehow that foundation row 8" becomes 8 1/2" for my 1st row instead. Even if my count is accurate. For example, if my chain is 28. The end of the 1st row has a count of 27 stitches.Yet, it's longer than my foundation chain. Is this supposed to happen? It only happens on the 1st row. After that the dishcloth does not get wider. I am using cotton yarn with a G hook. So, if this is normal where the 1st row gains 1/2" do I make my foundation chain to 7 1/2"? I am confused as to why it increases on the first row. I thought if my foundation chain was 8" wide that was what my work would be. 

2 answers to this question

No my foundation chains are never the same length as my first row.  I always make extra foundation chains because I cant seem to count much past 20 and be accurate.  I chain a little longer than the length I want.  I work the first row and stop when its the length I want.  Then I undo the extra chains.  

My theory is that the chains and other stitches are 'relaxed' until you stuff a stitch, or many stitches, into them.  After all, you can shove a boatload of stitches into 1 chain or stitch; I've made shell stitches that have had on the order of 10 or more stitches into 1; or patterns center out in the round have you chain 5 and put 16 trebles into the chain closest to the slip knot.