Stitch identification/pattern assistance

Leandri

Question

I came across this poncho pattern on the Attic24 blog and was hoping for a pattern, but have not been able to find it. Can anyone assist in identifying the stitches? And possibly how I’d go about making this? 

Alternatively, if there is a similar pattern out there, please let me know. 

1B7AEBBC-7F9B-4D59-A47C-F32CAFA8586D.png

C9635F52-A9C4-4268-9AB6-0B7B2751CC50.png

4F9A3136-7EB6-4F71-B606-5F4E6F503D07.png

10 answers to this question

How odd, she has lots of patterns on her blog, but I guess you'd have to know the name of it to find it easily.

Just eyeballing it, it's a 'sort of half a  granny square', by 'half' I mean there are 2 corners not 4 (the corners at mid front and mid back of the poncho).  The 'coming home poncho', if you remember that, was made in a similar way.  It's made center out, except the center is a neck hole not a 'point' like a square.  I believe the stitches are all US DC, or chains.  The corners are 5 DC into 1.  It looks like a row of 2 DC, chain 1, repeat followed by 2 rows of DC into each DC and chain space, plus the 2 corners.

The tie looks like a long chain + 1 row of SC.  And adding to what I said above, I think that ^ is the majority of the fabric, but around the neck looks like 2 rounds of sc, then 2 rounds of DC.  The flowers are something like: chain 2, 5 sc into the 2nd ch from the hook (or start with an adjustable ring if you want, and the petals are probably along the lines of SC, 2DC, SC in each SC, repeat around for 5 petals.

If my description of 2 corner granny square didn't make any sense, for the 'how to go about it' I suggest finding a 'coming home poncho' and follow that for the first round of the neckline to establish the 2 corners, then work around like I described above, increasing in the 2 corners.  I'll see if I can find a link to one...

The pattern I used ~20 years ago is still on the Lion Brand site--I'd forgotten that it called for Homespun (bulky weight yarn), I made mine in US#4 weight--I didn't make any notes about changing stitch counts except to add rounds to make it longer (so the 'short sides' came to my wrists), and  that I used an I size hook instead of a K that it called for.  I'm just linking this to illustrate how it starts, and like a granny square, it adds stitches at the ( 2 ) corners.

@grannysquare this one - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/martha-stewart-coming-home-poncho-plus-crochet I’m not such a fan of the round neck personally, and also the actual drape part. I might try have a look around to see if I can find any other patterns. 

There are some patterns I’ve found where I assume she just hasn’t had the time to write up. There is also a really cute hat she did but also no pattern. 

Thank you for your response! 

I wonder if I fiddled with my neckline (I'm a lifelong pattern tweaker), you are right the pattern photo looks round but I remember thinking of it as a '2 cornered granny square' - I just checked my poncho, it is definitely a V.  Along the lines of this one, which is child size but goes up to 12-14 (age not ladies' size).  Again, this is just for the concept of a 2 cornered thing, not the stitch pattern--I hope you find the original.

Edited by Granny Square

Looks like she never wrote out the pattern but if you read thru here she is calling it her Home Poncho and explains some of the stitches used in the rows.  If you scroll down here someone else made one and she explains how she started it and then used this pattern for the rows.

Edited by bgs

@bgs Thank you - I saw both of these bits you mentioned, but as a beginner I was looking for something I wouldn’t have to experiment with. But it seems like that is my only option (and I’ll probably learn a lot more in the process too 😬). 

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a beginner, I probably made assumptions I shouldn't have in my descriptions above (like if you've never made a granny square, a lot of what I said might not make any sense).  

But I am going to focus on the corners again, because that is really 'the hard part', the rest is just plain stitches in a row and preserving the stitch count, like making a blanket or a washcloth.  Pssst, the hard part is really not hard.

The basic 'corner rule':  let's say you made a square washcloth, just plain stitches back and forth in a square, and you want to make a border all around.  The 'rule' is, turning a corner in SC, you put 3 stitches (so it lies flat, if you put 1 stitch it will curl up).  The rule for DC is 5 stitches into a corner.  Now look closely at the \/ in your last photo - I'm pretty sure I'm seeing 5 stitches, sort of in a fan shape.  //|\\  (I am assuming that the item is made top down.)

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

@grannysquare I wouldn’t say complete beginner, as I’ve made a few things (blankets, shawls, scarves, baskets). But I am self-taught and find there are a lot of things I’m clueless about - like looking at something and understanding the ‘anatomy’ of it, or even identifying simple stitches.