4mm beads on DK yarn?

ElizaH

Question

Hello, 

I’m just finishing a shawl, and the final row says you can add beads  -the pattern says to use 4mm beads. So I bought the beads and big eye beading needle, but I simply can’t get the bead over the yarn. I’m a bit disappointed! Inside Crochet Issue 79 “Here Comes The Sun”. Am I doing something wrong? 87914F0C-5FEF-4C8E-AD8F-251A65268FF3.thumb.jpeg.e009f9585cb7e4bcf24f90b1af6e68d9.jpeg 

352ABC5F-0A4B-4A4E-819E-842376CA1DC2.thumb.jpeg.dc6f2995440aa160faecaa88f6eb2660.jpeg

9 answers to this question

Your shawl is lovely!

I'm not a beading expert, the biggest 'yarn' I've used for stringing beads onto for a crochet project was #10 thread for doilies--the beads were 6-0 size (4x3mm) but the needle was WAY tinier than yours.  I haven't actually used beads on a heavier yarn weight project but I read this instruction on a yarn weight pattern a while back - which was to string the beads onto sewing thread that matched the yarn, carry the thread and yarn together as you make the item and pull up the beads on the thread when you need to place them on a stitch.

Another trick I've not tried but read about is: instead of pre-stringing, use a thin folded wire as a 'needle' to get the yarn thru the bead just enough to make a loop, grab the loop with your crochet hook and finish the stitch.   Supposedly the wire inside twist-ties works well.

Edited by Granny Square

23 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks for that Bgs, I knew there was a method involving a 'floss' tool and couldn't remember what it was called.  (I'm old school I guess, I use floss but never used a threader)

I got braces (metal) in my 40's and had a permanent wire retainer for 20 years. I had to thread floss under the wire and between teeth because I couldnt just pull it down because of the wires.

Thanks again for these threading suggestions. I think though that the hole is simply too small for the yarn (even if I were to manage to thread one or two -the pattern requires 200).

I’m also afraid that by stringing the beads using the same coloured thread that eventually the thread would wiggle its way out of the crochet stitches and come undone. Maybe that wouldn’t happen though as crochet is kind of “knotty”.

Thank you Granny Square for complimenting my shawl -it’s a nice pattern (it does contain an error though). 

I am a very aggressive weaver-inner of my yarn ends (probably overly so); I weave in multiple directions and through stitches and sometimes split the plies and weave half one way, half another.  I leave weaving to the end of the project because I can't undo it without cutting the fabric.  So, I'd be sure to weave in the thread ends extra securely.

I can't see how the thread by itself can become separated from the yarn and pull itself out of a stitch if you are holding the thread and the yarn together while stitching, any more than a yarn stitch can wriggle out of being a stitch.  

The only concern I'd have is that the thread might break somewhere down the line, but if you've ever tried to 'break' sewing thread on purpose, that possibility is probably small.

Just saw Bgs' reply as I was typing - polish an interesting idea.  :idea