Pattern Database

LeslieG

Question

Can I ask what happened to the pattern database?  I assume it got too big and used up too much band width. I loved that. It was so easy to search. I have returned after a long absence

3 answers to this question

Patterns are still there, but it never was an easily searchable 'database' (or at least since I joined in 2007).  There are 4 categories = free original patterns, free pattern links, patterns for sale, and patterns in print - patterns in each section are posted willy-nilly in the order they were posted, not by category like 'blankets' or 'clothing' etc.

There was a very brief period a few years ago where this site hosted members' patterns for sale and handled the transactions, I can't recall if that was more organized.  The current 'patterns for sale' is just a 'bulletin  board', and sales would be between you and the seller (if they are still in business) not this site.

If you navigate to the pattern section, and scroll all the way to the top, on the right side is a 'search' box.  If you are looking for snowflakes for example, you can search on 'snowflake' and tell it where to search ('in this forum' if you have navigated to the pattern forum).  But that's as close to a 'database' as it ever was.

A lot of people here use to use crochetpatterncentral, but that site got sold years ago and was maintained after that for a short while then stopped...there are probably a lot of dead links there now.  The reason I brought it up is that site categorized the patterns by type and was easily searchable, which you mentioned.

Several years ago Donna tried to set something up for people to list and even sell patterns similar to what is done on Ravelry.  It never took off and with the many upgrades I believe it just was let go.  It wasn't connected to the free pattern section as I remember it.  I thought it was a stand alone database she was establishing.  It was a long time ago and I don't remember the details.  That was back in the day when everything I bought was either sent in the mail or bought in a store.  I took a while to catch on to the digital pattern age.