Yarn/hook confusion!

Yarnthusiast

Question

I have a pattern for a dress that suggests that I use “500 gr of mixed yarn (400m | 100gr) and crochet hook # 2”. I am based in the UK and have purchased some 4ply yarn with the label 170m / 184yards which I thought would be ok (too thick if anything!) but I have started the pattern and everything is way too small! My two questions are:

- Is this yarn an ok weight?

- What sized mm hook should I be using? I think I am getting confused. 

Please help! Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Yarnthusiast

4 answers to this question

Crochet Gauge 101: Why Gauge Matters and How to Match It | Craftsy

UK #2 = 7.00mm

2mm =US 0 or UK14.  Or US C/2?

Is the pattern US based or UK?

Sounds like thicker yarn might be needed.

Need more details.  Free (provide link)or purchased pattern?  What are the swatch gauge instructions.  Name of pattern. etc Designer contactable?

Yarn Conversion Chart - Laughing Hens

Edited by NCcountrygal
add url

In the pattern notes does it say anything about gauge and did you make a swatch to compare yours to that recommended in the pattern?  If yours does not match you will have to compensate in order for the size to come out right.  Things that affect gauge include weight of yarn, hook size and your personal tension.  If you cant meet gauge by adjusting these variables then you have to mathematically compensate.

Welcome to the 'ville!  And, yikes!  That pattern doesn't give you very much to go on. 

Looking at a conversion chart, 4 ply UK is 'fingering weight' or 'sock weight'.  I happen to have a sock weight ball handy that luckily is 438 yards = 400 meters according to the label, and calls for a US D hook (3.25mm) to achieve a gauge of 24 stitches across and 30 rows to measure 4 square inches or 10 square mm.

Your UK #2 hook is 7mm?? if I'm reading this chart correctly (second chart), the third chart is for steel hooks (used for doily thread).  Am I off base?

This chart covers US standards, but it gives measurements in metric - it tells, by US yarn weight, which hook and knitting needle size is appropriate for the yarn size.  For US #1, fingering or 'super fine', recommends a hook in the 2.25-3.5 mm range (so, in the neighborhood of what my yarn ball said). 

The above link also gives a range of  stitches across to achieve 4" with that hook, which is 21-32 stitches.   My yarn ball says 24 stitches across with a 3.24mm hook (size D US).

All of the above is to get to this point:  Any pattern for a wearable is going to give a gauge that YOU need to achieve with the yarn and hook YOU are using,  to get the same fit result as you should.  (usually x rows across and y rows to hit 4" or 10 cm)  You may have to choose a bigger or smaller hook, to do so, and I hope the yarn you bought will work.    I've thrown a lot of stuff at you, but following the path I described what I would do if I were in your shoes--what ingredients do YOU need to hit the designer's gauge.

Edit, I know there were other replies as I was typing but I was trying to find my fingering yarn and look up stuff, it looks like we are all on the same page.

I forgot to say, that the ball of sock yarn I was describing was that 400 meters weighs 100 grams, so conforms to your pattern call-out.