Getting started in filet crochet

Sarah_in_MA

Hello, I hope there is someone out there who knows about this kind of crochet and can give me a bit of advice.

I am using a book, just called "Filet Crochet" I think. For each project the book says what size hook to use and says to make a sample to get the gauge right. But it doesn't say what size thread to use.

The shop I go to only has a few sizes of thread. There is Coats three cord crochet in size 20 and 30 and another brand in size 10 (quite a bit thicker).

I found that size 20 gave me almost the right gauge with the size ten hook that the project I am attempting called for. Is this the size thread usually used for filet crochet doilies?

Eventually I would love to make a small curtain or valence. The charts in the book seem to call for a size 7 or 6 hook, so am I right in assuming that this would require a thicker thread, like the size ten thread? Or is the difference in how you crochet, how tightly?

Thank you! My grandmother taught me how to crochet years ago but I don't have much actual experience with gauges and so forth.

--Sarah

With the pattern calling for that size hook, I would say it would most likely be a #10 thread. I've done quite a bit of filet in years past...but none in the last 10-15 yrs. Back then I did 2 scenes of the Lord's Last Supper. I've a photo of one somewhere after I had it framed and given to the church we attended at the time. (Maybe I should find that photo and add it to my gallery) If you get "stumped" maybe I can help. Good luck!!!

i agree. if the pattern calls for a size 6-7-8 hook. it would really need size 10 thread. with a size 10 hook you could still use size 10 thread, but size 20 would work even better(if you are comfortable working with smaller threads). I would suggest start with something small. small doily. coaster. even a name to get the feel of it. it is very easy once you get the hang of it. and honestly, the hook, thread,gauge size really doesnt matter unless you are making something specific. (curtains, clothing, etc). The biggest filet pattern I've ever made was a horse chair back. I think its in my gallery link. For curtains though, I would use the size 10 threads. it will make them a bit more heavy and hang properly, if that makes sense.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here. There are so many that read this board throughout the day/night, you would prolly get an answer pretty fast. GOOD LUCK!!!:hook

Oh I love filet crochet. Most of the older patterns were designed to be done with about a size 30 thread. I have done filet with size 150 thread on up to 10 thread. The main thing is that it will fit the place or need you have for it. I like the smaller thread as I can do a more detailed piece and not need 2 rooms to display it in. The larger size 10 thread will work up quicker but if you want a smaller piece it will need to be a simplistic design. Filet crochet to look its best should be done in a tight stitch. Loose stitches cause the pattern to get kinda lost. So decide what you want to do with the piece and decide on your thread from there. Any pattern can be done in any size thread with the proper hook for the thread. So do a swatch and figure out your blocks per inch, and rows per inch and calculate how big you piece will be from there. Adjust your thread size from there. Have fun the possiblities are endless.

Thank you all for answering!

I went ahead and started with the size 20 thread as that seems to give me pretty close to the gauge called for.

I love this! It is so relaxing and fun (except for the puncture marks on my pointer finger).

Yes it makes sense that a heavier thread would give the right hang for curtians... the book has pictures of some really pretty small curtains, and a couple of large ones.

I will look at the albums on Sunday, just found this place.

--Sarah

• 4 weeks later...

The main thing to remember about filet is that your squares need to be square, not rectangular in any direction. Whatever size hook and thread gets you a square use that. Unless its something that has to be a specific size like clothing or has to fit a table of a certain size use what you are comfortable using.

My hands simply won't take the smaller threads for any length of time anymore, too much cramping. I use a size 8 hook and #10 thread. I do tend to crochet tight and have to really work at getting my dc's a good height.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree that the sore finger is the only draw~back to filet crocheting!

I have even tried to pierce my finger while watching a scary movie~got a little jumpy and poked my finger really hard with my hook!:eek

After a little bit you will have a callous on your finger! :xfin

mgf~:frog

Archived