Shoulder shaping

Zc3f

Question

Hello

Am stuck on the shoulder shaping, I currently have 20 loops across, so this seems lopsided to me if I am skipping 10 loops in the middle, leaving 5 each side. I think I must need to decrease 1 each end and create 3 loops each end leaving 12 in the middle. Or 4 loops each end and leave, 10 in the middle. 

The pattern says to:

1 dc into first loop (4ch, 1 dc into next loop) twice. Fasten off. Count off 10 loops across the centre. Join yarn onto next loop, 1dc into same loop (4ch, 1dc into next loop) 3 times, 2 ch. Turn, 1dc into first loop (4ch, 1dc into next loop) twice, 2 chain, 1 dc into joining dc. Fasten off. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is this pattern on the internet, or is there a picture of what the end product looks like?

By 'loops' I assume you mean stiches.  20 stitches across sounds like a child size item? (unless it's using chunky yarn, perhaps).  But, for a neckline, the proportion sounds reasonable to me to have 5 shoulder stitches on each side, and, a gap of 10 stitches in the middle for the neck opening--assuming this is either the front or the back, the other piece is the same or more stitches for the neck opening (often the back head opening is straight across, and the front has a bit of a 'scoop', but not always), that gives you at least 20 stitches to put your head thru.

Just follow exactly what it says.  I learned to crochet before the internet and learned to follow a pattern blindly, word for word, and if something when wrong THEN I'd question it.  It usually worked out.

Below is a diagram I drew for a shoulder question a while back, what you have done up until now is the blue and pink part, now you are working on the yellow part, and later will work the red part - I hope that makes sense.  (your pattern may not have armhole indents, but I hope you get the idea)

Blouse Front.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was arguing with my computer trying to add my sketch when NCcountrygal answered.  I hadn't thought about a mesh top, but that makes sense for loops. 

In my answer I was focusing on the bottom line of : over 20 loops (or stitches), 10 are skipped in the middle for the neckline, and 5 are on each side for the shoulder 'straps'. My diagram was meant to be a generic top, the neckline is almost twice the width of the shoulder area I drew.  It sounds like your neckline is a lot shallower than my version, but same concept - I hope all this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the help. It is the back of a mesh cardigan, have attached a photo. The pattern instructions seem to create an unbalanced shoulder with one side higher than the other, but maybe that should be the case?

DSC_0099.JPG

More likely there is an error.  R and L shoulder should look the same.  I see your diagram ends like mine.  2 loops left unworked.  So, if it were me I would make sure both shoulder shapes stay similar.  Instead of counting 10 loops I'd count 12 loops in the middle.  My diagram had 4 dc each side, 3 4ch loops before the turn on the end of that row.

Usually, the shoulder shaping is completed on one one shoulder before moving to the (mirror) image shaping of other shoulder.  I've made lots of garment patterns where I just winged what looked right and would satisfy my eye.  :)

• Thanks 1

I agree, I'd make them match as far as # of stitches across.  I presume you are going to work another piece, not sure if you are currently working the back or the front - A 'test' might be - look at the pattern of the piece you haven't done yet, how many stitches across are the shoulder 'straps'?  Presumably you will be seaming front and back 'straps' together, so the number of loops on each side should match.  The reason I said 'might', it's possible back is just a straight line across the top, so sits higher than the center front which dips in the center for the neck line.  But either way, the shoulders should have the same # of stitches.

• Thanks 1