Lace Pattern Butterfly Help

TheGloveGirl

Question

Hello friends! 

I need help with a thread pattern I'm working on. 

I'm currently making an Irish crochet butterfly from the youtube channel lacefromireland. 

I'm stuck on making the body of the butterfly, the written pattern doesn't give much detail and the video footage doesn't do too much service either. 

This is the link to video: 

Any help would be very useful.

GloveGirl

6 answers to this question

If you can’t find better instructions perhaps look for similar patterns that are clearer.

This one is a pdf on Etsy. You can ask the seller about diagrams and clarity of instructions. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/995406371/digital-download-1912-irish-crochet?ref=shop_home_recs_1&pro=1

Glove Girl, I admit I saw this earlier and 'passed' on looking at the video; sorry, I am not a video person. 

I think we've chatted before on a glove you were working on a while back, so I know you've worked WWII era vintage patterns; you may know this but just in case -  US patterns from the WW1 era & a bit earlier were written in modern UK terms; modern US terms exist by 1930-ish (not sure when the transition happened).

I just looked, there are lots of books on Antiquepatternlibrary.org (APL) that contain butterflies, and there are some on Freevintagecrochet .  I made the 'insertion' one from the second site actually. 

Here is a link to the 'overview' of one book on APL that contain 6 butterflies if I counted right, I found it by searching on 'butterfly' on the crochet page; there are probably more books that do.

Do you have a specific place that you are having problems?  I hate working patterns from video.  Basically looks like you work stitches into head and work in back loops back and forth placing number of stitches as instructed.  Then you take "cord" (which looked like multiple strands of thread you are crocheting with) lay it around the piece you crocheted and sc crochet all around the edge encasing the cord.  Then you cinch in the cord until you get the desired body shape.

I found a Priscilla filet book #2 (I made a doily out of that one), and cross stitch #2, but no Irish #2 - there's a "Priscilla Irish Crochet Book" (no number, lots of flowers but no butterflies).  And looking at the body. I'm not really sure how it's done.

Sorry, I'm not much help with the Irish style; the only Irish crochet I've done is one with Cluny elements (done flat, daisies and lace) and a couple with Irish roses and leaves.  

Edited by Granny Square