Help with pattern neckline shaping please!

Soph1011

Question

Hi there, I’m making a child’s jumper & im so confused on the shaping of the neckline!

this is the pattern & it doesn’t make sense to me…!

Neckline Shaping First Shoulder

Row 27 (32, 38, 39): Ch 1, sc in 1st dc, dc in next sc, [sc in next dc, dc in next sc] 4 (5, 5, 6) times, sl st in next st, turn—5 (6, 6, 7) sc, 5 (6, 6, 7) dc.

Row 28 (33, 39, 40): Ch 1, sk sl st of previous row, [sc in dc, dc in sc] across, turn—5 (6, 6, 7) sc, 5 (6, 6, 7) dc.

Sizes 6/8, 10/12, 14/16
Rows 34 (40, 41) – 35 (41, 43): Ch 1, sc in 1st dc, dc in next sc, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc, rep from * across, turn. Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing shoulder seams.

Skip next 10 (10, 14, 12) stitches across center neckline.

Second Shoulder
Join with sl st in next sc.
Row 27 (32, 38): Ch 1, [sc in next dc, dc in next sc] across, turn—5 (6, 6, 7) sc, 5 (6, 6, 7) dc.
Row 28 (33, 39, 40): Rep Row 38 (leaving sl st unworked). Fasten off size 2/4, leaving long tail for sewing shoulder seams. Sizes 6/8, 10/12, 14/16
Row 34 (40, 41) – 35 (41, 43): Ch 1, sc in 1st dc, dc in next sc, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc, rep from * across, turn. Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing shoulder seams.

3 answers to this question

What specifically are you having a problem with?

I get confused with all the numbers for the different sizes so first I would have to mark thru the numbers not pertinent to the size I was making.  Some of the rows listed will not be worked on the smaller/smallest sizes.  

You've worked the piece from the bottom (yes?) and now you are going to create two shoulder pieces.  Only one of the shoulders can be worked from the current yarn.  So you are first going to finish the first shoulder and then break yarn.  Then join the yarn again to create the second shoulder. 

You are going to change a rectangle into a rectangle with two tabs.

del back.JPG

Exactly what Mary Pat said.  Another diagram, basically like she drew, but color coding the 'steps'.

If working front or back piece bottom up, the body section from hem to armhole is usually just a rectangle - the blue part.

Then, starting the armholes, if it is a set-in sleeve, you usually 'indent' for each armhole and work the pink area across the majority of the centermost stitches of the arm-down blue area.

Then, for the neck, you typically end up working 1 side of the neck to the shoulder (red area) then finishing off.  Then you re-attach the yarn, either at the neck or armhole (whatever the pattern says, to make the yellow area.  Sometimes the front looks like this diagram, but the back pink area just continues to the shoulder, in other words neck shaping in the front but not the back.

Blouse Front.jpg