Seeking Pattern Instructions? Thanks!

rhs

Question

Hi - I introduced myself above, so - here's my first question:

I saw a site called crochettalk.com - on its home page - that multi-colored pattern pictured at the top and to the right - I am seeking instructions for making a triangular shawl in that pattern. If anyone can point or link me to one - very much appreciated!

Here is a link to the picture:  https://crochettalk.com/

Here is a link to another one that looks similar - the instructions with it are for a rectangular shawl, but I can't wrap my head around how to convert it to a triangular shawl:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_S01rz74Q

Edited by rhs
Add link

4 answers to this question

The photo is definitely Tunisian crochet, and it's done in a very simple stitch pattern. Tunisian is sometimes called Afghan crochet, tricot crochet, Scotch knitting, Princess Frederick William stitch, Princess Royal Crochet stitch, hook knitting, hakking, railroad knitting, and shepherd's knitting - but nowadays, it's usually just called Tunisian.

Depending on the pattern, you can do it with regular crochet hooks, or with a long tunisian hook with one or two ends, with cables, or some patterns done in the round require a double ended long hook.

Find Your Next Project at CrochetKim.com! - CrochetKim™ Crochet Kim has a Tunisian stitch library, lots of patterns, and at least one book she published on Tunisian crochet - oh, and she has video instructions on her site and on YouTube also.

Edited by chipnanna
Added link

Chipnana, I'm not going to say that it's impossible to make something that looks similar to the OP's link in a Tunisian technique, and I agree that Crochet Kim is the 'Goddess of Tunisian', but I've made a pile of filet doilies over several decades, and if the fabric pictured at the top the Crochet Talk link* is not a DC, CH1 filet item, it can certainly be reproduced by doing that--and would be much easier for someone familiar with basic Crochet stitches to make an identical item.  (also not saying to the OP not to learn Tunisian stitches if you haven't already, but you don't need to for this simple shawl.) 

Reni C. has found a pattern that looks pretty close to that fabric in plain DC and chains.

* Note - I'm I'm not seeing a shawl pattern on that link, it looks like a 'main page' and maybe the shawl pattern is buried in a sub link on that site?.

Here is another pattern, written not youtube, that is DC, CH1, bottom tip worked up to the wide end (just in case you are like me and like youtube to learn a new technique, but not for a whole pattern). 

With a bottom up pattern, you can pick any size yarn and hook, and work up until it is as wide as you want it to be, but then the yarn amount will change.  Normally for a triangle shawl, (I made a couple when they were popular in my high school/college days and can vouch for this), you want to make them a few inches wider than your outstretched arms; it makes them easier to keep on, smaller and you may need a shawl pin.  Your 'wingspan' is supposedly about the same as your height.