Single Crochet (US term)

aida.azrn

Question

Hi, can anyone help me? I am a beginner of crocheting a top. What if I crochet different amount of foundation chain in the front panel of the top and the back panel? (90 in the front, 100 in the back)  Will it turn out bad or can I just continue? 

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, aida.azrn said:

Hi, can anyone help me? I am a beginner of crocheting a top. What if I crochet different amount of foundation chain in the front panel of the top and the back panel? (90 in the front, 100 in the back)  Will it turn out bad or can I just continue? 

Ummm, are you free styling or using a pattern?  It’s really hard to answer not knowing which top.  As a beginner I would recommend Follow the pattern.  Or, if you just want to explore and the design is very simple top then have fun and learn through the process.    Very simple would be like a rectangle front and back joined at the shoulder, side hem and such. 

• Like 1

Do you need it bigger in the back for a better fit?  If you are using a pattern and start with the wrong number of stitches you may have to figure out how to alter the pattern on later rows.

• Like 1

This pattern is the sort that NCcountrygal was describing, 2 rectangles seamed at the sides and shoulders with unseamed areas for neck and arms.  It is a 'fancier' stitch than you were looking for, but scroll down, there is a schematic that shows the shape and measurement of the elements (D=armhole depth, A=width width of 1 piece, length, etc.  So you could measure yourself (a tailor's tape is a good thing to have if you are making clothing), figure out what size you are and make 2 squares and sew them up as it describes.  Or perhaps measure a t-shirt that you like the fit of and work with that.  Remember that trick I mentioned about the chain will come in handy for this.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I would rip the wrong one and re-do it.  If it were bigger in the front than the back, it might make some sense for a maternity top or if someone needed more room in front.  

What size were they both supposed to be?  If they were both supposed to be 100, it's probably going to be too tight.  And I'm guessing here, but I think it might hang funny on you if it were too big with excess in the back, and might be uncomfortable.  You want it to look nice, and fit right, so there is no point in thinking you have 'wasted work' on it.  It will be wasted if you don't fix it to make a garment you are happy with, however.

Because you mentioned foundation chain, in case you are at the point of contemplating just the chain being too long, did you know that if you chain too many by accident, you can turn, work back across the right number of stitches, and then later pick out the extra chains?  It won't unravel.  If I have to chain a large number, like 100, I carefully count to 100 and thrown in a few extra just in case.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1