yarn substitution question

mkdip1

Question

1) I have a blanket pattern that suggests Red Heart Pompadour Art. E255, but this yarn is discontinued and I can't find it in sufficient quantities.  I haven't found it on any of the online "Yarn substitution charts" that I've seen.  Any ideas what would be soft and nice to work with and give a similar finished product? https://i.etsystatic.com/17286269/r/il/8817b9/1850491388/il_794xN.1850491388_re8x.jpg

2) Also, another blanket pattern just says "worsted weight yarn."  There seems to be a huge range of caliburs, etc among worsted weight yarns, so do you have any favorites for a soft, lightweight blanket with a similar finished look to this? 

https://i.etsystatic.com/6936486/r/il/030dd9/2277864499/il_794xN.2277864499_1r8j.jpg

Edited by mkdip1

8 answers to this question

For the Pompadour is this a baby sport weight?  The only red heart pompadour that I saw when I searched was baby sport weight.  Lion Brand has a baby pompadour but the only color I believe is white. 

Hobby Lobby has Baby Bee Sweet Delight Pomp Yarn many more color options

Joann's has Little Twist comes in basic baby colors

I'll look into the Baby Bee Sweet Delight Pomp Yarn and the Little Twist as well.  Thanks!

The Pompadour isn't a baby sport weight, although they did have that and discontinued it as well.  Here is a link to the only one I can find - https://www.etsy.com/listing/1028665144/baby-yarn-jamie-3-ply-red-heart?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pompadour+yarn&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

The two mint-colored ones are the Pompadour (not baby sport weight, or at least not labeled as such).

Welcome to the 'ville--very pretty blanket pattern on you link 🙂 

Just addressing your comment that worsted weight seems to be a huge range  --  EVERY yarn weight designation is a range, not an absolute.  It is measured by wraps per inch.  Here is a link that explains the US system, US 4 or 'worsted' weight is a range of 9 to 12 wraps per inch, the next smaller US 3 or DK is 11 to 15, and so on.  If you think about it, 9 wraps is only 75% of the maximum of 12 wraps per inch for US #4 weight.

What is the gauge and with what hook the pattern tells you that you should be getting?  That would be a hint on what weight class of yarn will work.  This link gives you the average range of gauges and hook sizes typical for different weights of yarn, so that might help guide you in a rough sort of way.  There is a mix of  are different lines showing knitting and crochet gauges and the needle and hook sizes are in mm so you might have to do some cross referencing (look at the menu on that page, there is another section that covers this ).

(Edited for clarification).

Edited by Granny Square

Prior to COVID I used to pick up really cheap yarn at the local senior citizen center sales.  I have been able to keep myself in white that I use for various Santa related Christmas projects.  I have no idea what brand I have but it always seemed like it was heavier than sport weight which is why I asked.  Never having bought it new I don't know.  I've never gone looking to purchase it.  I use it primarily for trim so the skeins I have have taken a while to finish.  I did pick up some pink at one point that I used in a doll project I believe.  Again no idea what weight or brand as it came without any ID.

When I went looking to see what was still sold after reading your post I couldn't find anything that wasn't called baby yarn other than Joann's which is still a lighter weight than what I think I had previously.

Thanks for your thoughts.  The pattern with the worsted weight calls for size I (5.50mm) hook for a 5" square.  That pretty much means I would need a 3-4 I think, according to your second link, and since I typically crochet a little tight maybe a heavier yarn would be better.  I will see what I can figure out.  Thank you again!

I looked up the Pompadour yarn and found a label. It's considered "fingering" weight which would be about a 1 or 2 weight yarn or even a sock yarn weight maybe.

s-l1600.jpg

ReniC, thank you!  I am curious, as I also found an original label in my searching - how can you tell that it is a fingering weight?  I didn't see anything on the label about it.  Thanks again.

I just went to Yarnsub.com, and typed in 'Red Heart Pompadour', and got this:

Did you mean?

RED HEART Pompadour Baby Fingering*  Plied (3 or more plies) Fingering — 30 sts / 10 cm (4") — Acrylic (84%), Polypropylene (16%)

RED HEART Baby Sport Pompadour*  Plied (3 or more plies) Sport — 24 sts / 10 cm (4") — Acrylic (90%), Polypropylene (10%)

* = discontinued yarn

I didn't look there earlier earlier since the OP said she'd already looked at some yarn substitution sites, and yarnsub is the only one I could think of except for Ravelry..  So that narrows it down to 2 possible weights for the first pattern.  I still think an educated guess to the yarn weight should be possible using the gauge & hook size listed on the pattern, and the first link on my above post showing average gauge and hook sizes used for those sized yarns--or heck, which of the Red Heart's suggested gauges above is closest to your pattern?  

Note, adding  art. 255 or article 255 didn't narrow it down.

And, if you click on either of those choices, it gives you a bunch of alternatives that match that yarn weight.

Edited by Granny Square