Need help finding appropriate yarn

Rexie

Question

I have a friend who is getting chemo and all her hair has fallen out. I want to crochet her a hat.  I would like to find a light weight yarn that will not be too warm to be wearing outside in the summertime in Texas. I have cotton but I’m not sure how cool that’s going to be. I was wondering if perhaps some silk yard might be better. I would appreciate any help or ideas that y’all can give me.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I'd use baby yarn, probably or a 50-50 blend next...........the colors are marv........pink, particularly.....pop a search online to see what's available......I really, really like to get my hands on yarn purchases but have ordered online....win some and lose some.  ((:  My fav baby yarn at HL was their 50-50 blend of cotton acrylic.....yup, they discontinued it.

Baby yarn is rather skinny.....so grab a hook and adjust, ya.

So, I'd use a 50-50 as it just seems to breathe, too but thicker than typical ww yarn.  Search words:  50-50 yarn  or  cotton acrylic blend yarn............and, oh, get to a shop and get your hands on some.....the process is rewarding in and of itself.  You can tell your friend about your online trek, shopping at a LYS (local yarn shop) while over tea and crumpets.  ((:

Oh, make her two......one to wear when the other is in the wash, eh? 

Much luck.

Texas, and we are heading into summer...tough call.

I went thru chemo over 20 years ago, lived in a mild temp area (San Francisco bay area), and found acrylic crocheted hats too hot, even in the winter.  I have read that some chemo patients find acrylic scratchy--I didn't, just sweaty.  I ended up sewing stretchy-fabric turbans instead after buying one at the wig shop and realizing it was just a rectangle of stretchy fabric (that one could easily hand-sew if they didn't have a machine, if you can like I can give details)

I see NCcountrygal just responded, I was about to say the same thing, cotton is probably a good choice for comfort, not scratchy or as hot. 

A bit of advice, from my point of view anyway - the last thing I wanted was something that screamed 'I'm wearing a chemo hat'.  Find something you'd like to wear, or think is your friend's 'style', with some details or texture and fun colors.  I was trying to go for "maybe she's having a bad hair day, cute hat/turban!" instead.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

A bamboo mix yarn is nice and soft too. It also makes great face cloths.