Does anyone know what this pattern is?

NonnaMaria

Question

Can anyone help me determine this pattern. My grandson’s bedroom is sharks & surfboards and when I was showing him ideas of what I could make he jumped at the sight of this one because it looks like waves. I’ve been diligently searching but I’m not sure if I’m overlooking it or just don’t know how to look for it. I’d appreciate any help. I’m just revisiting the crochet world after years of not touching yarn. I’m excited to learn new things I’ve not done before, I just finished my first continuous granny square afghan 💕
thanks in advance!

Maria

171AE1B8-5244-4231-B559-CC8385FBC046.png

4 answers to this question

I think it would be fairly easy to reverse-engineer (make a graph) if you did it in tapestry-style colorwork in plain SC versus thinking of it as a fancy stitch pattern.  The photo is not super clear, but from what I can see, I believe that is how it was done--I think I'm seeing some tell-tale color 'blips' that suggest tapestry.

Tapestry crochet is just working in SC in (usually) 2 colors, and working over the unused color instead of stranding it behind the work.  So just grab some graph paper and plot out a short horizontal part of of the pattern portion that comprises 3 "rows" of waves (not all the way across, but I think each vertical repeat is: the blue wave looks like 4 rows, then another blue wave group of 4 rows that are centered between the other 'wave row group'.  So you'd probably just plot out maybe 3 or 4 waves across and 3 sets vertically.

http://tapestrycrochet.com/  this site has a LOT of info on tapestry technique. 

2 hours ago, NonnaMaria said:

Can anyone help me determine this pattern. My grandson’s bedroom is sharks & surfboards and when I was showing him ideas of what I could make he jumped at the sight of this one because it looks like waves. I’ve been diligently searching but I’m not sure if I’m overlooking it or just don’t know how to look for it. I’d appreciate any help. I’m just revisiting the crochet world after years of not touching yarn. I’m excited to learn new things I’ve not done before, I just finished my first continuous granny square afghan 💕
thanks in advance!

Maria

171AE1B8-5244-4231-B559-CC8385FBC046.png

Reminds me of interlocking stitch patterns I’ve seen.  Not that one specifically. 

That's a very pretty afghan. It reminds me a bit of Bargello crochet. Looking at the Etsy seller's photos, her photo of a corner shows it might be long-sc's with maybe sc's and hdc's??? You could contact the seller and see if she sells this particular pattern, if in fact it's her pattern.