Need to change this knitting pattern to crochet

DannaJamin

Question

Hello :)

I feel in love with this crop vest top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8MU1QY_Xq0&t=363s 

It is sadly a knitting pattern and I want to crochet it :( Could anyone translate it for me? Or does anyone have a similar pattern for crochet? 

Thanks a lot :)

Danna

4 answers to this question

There are sites that I've seen that tell you how to sub crochet for knit, but it's mostly to make something of similar dimensions (example, off the top of my head I recall seeing something like "substitute a row of US DC for 3 rows of stockinette", but that is not going to look at all like stockinette (the smooth knit stitch that most people associate with 'looking like knit'.

There IS however, a technique to actually form REAL knit stitches with a crochet hook, and follow a knitting pattern, called 'knooking'.  They used to sell 'knook hooks' in craft stores, they probably still do somewhere; you can make your own, it's basically a regular crochet hook with a hole drilled in the end and a cord attached thru the hole--the hook acts like the knitting needle that forms the stitches, the cord acts like the second knitting needle that holds the stitches.

I tried knooking, but I already knew how to knit and I didn't like working stitches off the cord, but that is probably because I was used to the 'feel' of a solid needle versus a flexible cord.  But I know a lot of people think knooking is the bee's knees.

Good news: knit and purl stitches are really simple, they very similar to slip stitches.  Bad news, everything else (like increasing, decreasing) is a  bit more complicated.  More good news - you can drop stitches down a few rows to fix a mistake!!  This is the attribute of knitting that I really wished worked for crochet.

There is also a crochet stitch called the waistcoat stitch that looks like stockinette, but it is probably about 3x thicker, and (I think) only works in the round.  I've been meaning to try this, but I knit so I'd be more likely to try to knit a crochet waistcoat pattern instead.  It also has a drawback, since it's worked in the round the stitches slant, as all crochet stitches do in the round.  (so this wouldn't work for your knit cropped vest pattern)

Edited by Granny Square

When I took a look at your video after posting, this crochet pattern video was on the right side in line to play next - it is nearly identical except for using a more typical garment-weight yarn, that looks easy.  You have to scroll to the end to see what it looks like.

Edited by Granny Square