dyeing crochet cotton

mimi_mia

Has anyone tried dyeing crochet cotton, I have a few spools (is that what you call them??) that have water stains on them.......I would hate to throw them out. Also if I was to dye them what would I do, such as would I take them off the cardboard roll?

Unless you choose a very dark color, dying something that's water stained will just give you blotchy colors. If you want to try it, though, I think you will need an acid dye. Kool Aid won't work on cotton. Normally, loose hanks are best for dying, but I have a feeling that might end up with a lot of tangles when you go to rewind it.

Actually for cotton you need fiber-reactive dyes. Acid dyes are for animal fibers like wool. I posted this link somewhere else here-- www.dharmatrading.com --as a good link for dyes and information on dyeing. I think you would have to unwrap the yarn for more even dyeing.

Thanks for the correction. What was I thinking? :think

Thanks to you both, I will unwind the cotton, tie it and hope for the best.........what about coffee staining, do you think it will cover the water damage? I have 3 spools and 1 hank of cotton that needs fixing.......:( I think I'll put it in a bowl with boiling water and a dye and cross my fingers:xfin

Tea works better than coffee for making an ecru type color.

instead of dying it you could try using some non clorine bleach like oxyclean to just wash it. Wind your thread around a frame or something to make a skein. I sometimes use my arm from thumb to elbow to make a skein. Be sure to tie it several places, or it will tangle. Do a figure eight through and around the skein.

If you leave it on the cardboard, the whole thing will collapse and you will have a tangled mess. If you do dye it, fiber reactive dyes are needed for cotton.Or Rit from the grocery store. Your best bet may be to intentionally make it space dyed. It is very hard to get the color even.

Deb

Maria,

I have never used it so can't reccomend it. Another way to remove stains is hydrogen peroxide. You wet the stain with peroxide and steam with an iron. Dont actually iron it untill it is about out. Put a white cloth underneath the stain, and another one on top as I recall. I worked at a laundry and used that method for an ancient chocolate or blood stain. It worked great. If this is on the outside of your ball you might try it without having to unwrap it all. Are you beginning to think it might be alot easier to just go buy a new ball of thread? LOL

Deb

Are you beginning to think it might be alot easier to just go buy a new ball of thread? LOL

Deb

You know that may be the way to go, I was thinking that if I dyed it and didn't like it, there really was no loss, I would just go and buy more.

I think I will try the peroxide first then maybe the dye and then I'll throw it out if I don't like the result! Thank you for your help :hook

Archived