HDC in base of beg ch-1

milney

Question

7 answers to this question

Not really enough info to answer your question adequately but as you pointed out there is a joining stitch and a beginning ch1.  If pattern says put it in beginning ch 1 put it in beginning ch 1.

Edited by bgs

It sounds like you are making an oval, which is how many bags start out - you make a chain, work across as usual, put several stitches into the last st to turn the corner, then  work across the underside of the chain back to the beginning, where the last stitch (or stitches, to turn the second corner*) is made into the underside (base) of the first stitch, and you end with a slst join in the very first stitch. 

* sometimes the "several stitches into the end of the chain" that you start and end at, are made at the beginning not the end before joining to the first stitch, but it comes out the same either way.

This is a little disorienting the first time you do this - there are lots of videos on how to make an oval, the details of the stitch used may different, but the basic recipe of 'make a chain, (maybe work several stitches into the first chain) work across the top, turning the corner by making several stitches into the last chain, work across the underside of the chain, (maybe work several stitches into the underside first chain if you didn't do it at the beginning), join to the first stitch.

When I say first chain, that would be the first chain normally worked into depending on which stitch you are using- second chain for US SC, 4th chain for US DC for example.

We are having to guess what you are trying to make by the limited info you are giving us. If Granny Squares suggestions do not help we need more info -----link to pattern if its on the internet.  Sometimes we need to see the instructions for entire row in question and often the previous row. Sometimes a photo of your work helps us figure it out.

So much for my 'oval diagnosis' (and I must have been thinking of another post re: the bag, sorry)

So this is in joined rounds; the first thing you did in rnd 4 was chain 1 after joining rnd 3 together; the second stitch in rnd 4 was an HDC.

Then you worked around rnd 4 to near its starting point, where the next stitch in front of you is the initial chain created after joining round 3.

My GUESS is that to HDC into the base of the first chain of round 4, means to HDC into the slst that the chain 'came out of'.  Otherwise there's not much anatomy to a chain, if it meant into the first chain, (I'd think) it would have said so.  Guessing because it's a little unusual (but by no means the oddest valid instruction I've seen) I'm just following the words as literally as possible.