Yarn substitutes

luckyglammaw1215@gmail.com

Question

Good morning, I am new to message boards. My name is Corrina and I crochet. I also Knit a tiny bit! I am needing help with a pattern that I am wanting to use for a bag that my momma wants for her birthday. So here is where my issue comes in. The pattern uses a yarn that is 60% cotton and 40% Acrylic. All the yarn that I am finding in that blend is not what colors she is looking for. She is wanting to find something that is bright and fun for summer. So here is my question, Can anyone recommend a blend that would be a good substitute. I really appreciate any help and suggestions! Thank you and have a good crochet day!🤞😀

3 answers to this question

Do you mean a market bag, or a purse?  A market bag meaning usually a netting sort of pattern, like this - which I just picked because it was pretty typical, and free, but it also happens to use the sort of yarn I was going to suggest for a market bag - worsted weight cotton.  You could also use plain old acrylic of the same yarn weight, but the cotton will pill less. 

Lion Brand 24/7 yarn is mercerized cotton 'worsted weight'-- I would choose mercerized for a purse, it has a nicer, sturdier finish (like doily thread) than plain 'kitchen cotton'.  

I've never used it (I had some but gave it away) but there is a 'crochet nylon' that is super sturdy, and it's sometimes used for purses (the first time I saw someone using it was in Mexico, a lady was selling lovely crocheted handbags and crocheting away while waiting for customers)  Here is Hobby Lobby brand, it comes in several colors and is sport weight; the stuff I had was Red Heart, but I think Spinrite may have done away with it when they took over Coats&Clarke, I'm not finding it on the Yarnspirations site.  I'm sure this would also work great for market bags as well.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1